ARM: Intel Cannot Match Us in Power Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Intel: ARM can not match us in profits.

:D

But seriously, watch out, ARM, Intel has so much money and R&D capability it can force its way into any market it wants to. Who's heard of Ultrabooks a year ago? ;)

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Although ARM is to be praised with their very low power SoC's... the hell is TSMC, Qualcaum, Samsung, etc going to do against Intel Fabs? Intel are already working on sub 10nm processor designs (probably even working designs too). Meanwhile ARM SoC makers are just starting to utilize 28nm/32nm technology (mind you intel is already on 22nm)...

I wonder how long it'll take for intel to say "NOPE" ...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
My pocket calculator: "Arm cannot match me in power consumption!"
:D

But seriously, what are the performance/watt numbers for those?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
now All we need is the day where I can buy a wifi USB combo keyboard/mouse and plug the phone video output to TV via HDMI, use my phone as a desktop web PC/play half-life 1/starcraft 1 like a boss.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Competition, I welcome it I like to see how this leads and pushes both companies. Intel has the money to toss into R&D which may not make them a threat right now but they will be soon.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]AMD : Intel and ARM can't match us in numbers of COARS!!!!![/citation]
some arm and mips cpus contain hundreds of cores, and an amd core would certainly beat an arm core

G

Somewhere in the world : Eureka!!! I just made a working qubits!!

[citation][nom]JDW_SWB[/nom]AMD : We can't win on performance or power consumption.[/citation]
wrong, AMD can win on power consumption. their CPU's have the highest power consumption of all, noone can match them, unless intel brings back netburst with 8 cores.

milkshakez7z

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
wrong, AMD can win on power consumption. their CPU's have the highest power consumption of all, noone can match them, unless intel brings back netburst with 8 cores.
Intel : 8.6GHZ Pentium 4, 16 core edition! unmatched heating and power requirements!

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
It takes more than funds to innovate. Amount of money invested in R&D is not the only factor to make a revolutionary innovation. Intel is a giant for sure and they have bright minds at their side but there will always be a brighter mind in this arena. Please remember those days when AMD's Thunderbird/ Athlon XP / Athlon 64 wiped the floor with Pentiums + with much lower clock rates. It is not that Intel is FAR more innovative/creative/smarter than other companies. It is others' fault that they don't innovate with enough passion

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
ARM: "I TROLL U!"
Intel: "We didn't even care about competing with you on a power consumption term to begin with, get over it."
ARM: "I TROLLED U! U BUTTHURT!!! DERP DERP DERP!"

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i have a feeling well see history repeat itself here just like how intel beat amd. intel might be behind on power consumption now against arm, but next generation will only get better. with the amount of money intel invests in R&D and power consumption, their next gen chips will definitely be a major improvement. intel uses their own 22nm process while arm is just now using 28nm, so intel has alot more room for improvement.

arm better stop barking because intels just gonna bite them in the ass harder. Im not trying to bash arm, theyre power consumption/performance is always getting better with every generation by alot. its just that, like a commenter already said, intel has so much money and smart people with them that they can invade any industry and be a success.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]some arm and mips cpus contain hundreds of cores, and an amd core would certainly beat an arm core[/citation]

ARM's Cortex A15 is getting pretty close to AMD's Bulldozer in terms of per core performance per megahertz (at least in DMIPS). It's not a be-all-end-all benchmark but it definitely says something.

A15 - 3.5 DMIPS/core/MHz
FX-8150 - 3.78 DMIPS/core/MHz
2600K (for reference) - 9.43 DMIPS/core/MHz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_second

Status
Not open for further replies.