ARM Launches Cortex-R Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The bottom line? ARM has a huge advantage in the markets Intel wants to conquer with its x86 chips.
In light of this whole Intel chipset debacle I'm not sure a lot of people want to see Intel Inside on their cell phone. lol

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Does Intel have any instruction set newer than the 30 year-old x86? (the x64 has the same baggage as the x86)
Something lightweight like ARM, but can run a full OS - RISC? There is the Itanium IA-64, but I never seeing that going into phones.
As much as I like Intel, I don't see milliwatt Atoms working well in phones.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]gc_sama[/nom]It's a processor...for your ARM! O_O[/citation]
Really ??? Wow well that's clear as water !

gc_sama

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]Really ??? Wow well that's clear as water ![/citation]

Lol ARM is short for ARM Holdings, Inc. I don't know to much about them though. Google or Yahoo Finance will have a good description of them.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
It's a particular CPU architecture, to be exact it's a low power RISC architecture that basically the majority of smart phones use along with a bazillion other embedded devices. Do a google search.

Well That's just their symbol. It isn't short for anything.

They use the name ARMH in the stock market. They're just ARM. I have a several hundred shares in ARM, tomorrow they report earnings, hopefully I get some bank from this investment :D

ARM is a light processing semiconductor. The x86 microarchitecture was introduced in the late 70's to early 80's with the i8086 chip. That is what all to most x86 chipsets follow to process data.

ARM has promise in the mobile to light processing range of computing. Possibly research being performed for supercomputing.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]It's a particular CPU architecture, to be exact it's a low power RISC architecture that basically the majority of smart phones use along with a bazillion other embedded devices. Do a google search.[/citation]

RISC = Reduced Instruction Set Computer (and i didn't google that either!)
RISC allows Processors to run quickly as the instruction set to compile is very small compared to x86

G

The acronym ARM, first used in 1983, originally stood for "Acorn RISC Machine". However, when the company was incorporated in 1990, the acronym was changed to stand for "Advanced RISC Machines" in the company name "Advanced RISC Machines Holdings". Then, at the time of the IPO in 1998, the company name was changed to "ARM Holdings"

hahaha lmao, ARM Holdings! Brilliant! Do they also have a sub company of Hand Holdings?.... Hope they dont break a leg.... Hopefully they dont start making high end processors like intel, they will cost an Arm and a Leg. And if they make a mistake like intels chipset they wont have a leg to stand on!.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
If the RISC processor has a reduced instruction set, does that mean they are not doing as many things in hardware as an x86 processor might, therefore making the OS code bigger and slower to do the same things that a more complex processor would in hardware? -OR- Does that mean there is an abundant number of instructions in the x86 instruction set that no contemporary software actually uses, thereby wasting CPU real estate and power? IF that's the case, then couldn't the x86 architecture simply drop the oldest, unused instructions and tell everyone who is affected (and cares) to, well, recompile?

C0BRA

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Well, I Hope Intel has as much luck breaking into that as they have had with Itanium, (all but dead) and conquering the video card market. (fail after fail.)

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I think it's important to know that anyone can make an ARM CPU by paying a small license fee to ARM Holdings (including Intel and AMD). Also, note that the stock price for ARM Holdings, Inc. has sky-rocketed this year. ARM very well may be the CPU in almost everything in a few very short years.

Status
Not open for further replies.