ARM Mali-C71 ISP Brings Ultra-Wide Dynamic Range To Advanced Driver Assistance Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes and no, but the thing I hate about it is that it'll eventually force everyone to forego manual driving. On highways, at least.

With all the money being spent on self-driving cars, we could probably have a pretty awesome high-speed rail network.

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Does that night vision picture look photoshopped to anyone? I don't think IR shadows and lighting works the same way as lighting from a streetlamp.

The big deal in this (as I understand it) is in the improvement of "white balance" in the dynamic range --- this was the problem in the fatal Tesla crash last year.

White cars/trucks, white lines, bright/white skies, etc., need extra attention as to prevent conflicting sensors and interpretation.

And, el-oh-el @ the whining. I'll take my chances with a self-driving car long before I trust a distracted knuckle-head behind the wheel of a 2-ton vehicle traveling 70+ MPH ...

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

Yeah, it's the direction things are headed and it kind of sucks because I enjoy driving (or at least used to). There are so many oblivious people on the road now a day that it's kind of hard to enjoy. I do hope that manual driving doesn't become completely outlawed, instead I hope they just make the test to drive manually much more difficult.

I can imagine getting pulled over "If you want to drive manually, take it to the track!"

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It seems that way, but I'm pretty sure thinking has always been optional.

Granting the ability to do more, with less effort or knowledge, is an intrinsic aspect of technology. To me, the really interesting question is whether access to technology should be in any way limited or restricted. Certainly, we accept the need to do this for nuclear technology, but what about certain types of information technologies?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's obviously a false-color image.

If we were talking about far-IR (AKA thermal imaging), then you're correct that shadows take as long to form as it takes for the surface to cool a measurable amount. But I think cost likely prohibits the use of thermal imaging in automotive applications. And since cars can use active illumination, there's not so much benefit.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, wait till they start getting hacked by terrorists. Or criminals who strand you somewhere, until you pay ransom!

Status
Not open for further replies.