My older FIC FR33 mobo has a slot for an arm modem which I purchased from PC
Direct Source. I've inserted the card, but it doesn't appear in the Device
Manager. I've checked and it seems to be seated all the way and there
doesn't appear to be any jumpers on the board and my mobo manual doesn't
indicate that anything has to be enabled to recognize the card.

If I enable the mobo on-chip modem, XP Pro finds and installs a Smartlink
PCI 0 device. However there is no modem input/output on the mobo.

We use RR ISP service; so I don't need a dialup modem at the moment but I
was planning on taking this machine to FL for the winter and we'll have to
use a dialup service while in FL
..
Am I missing something in the installation of the ARM device?

TIA,

Wayne

WayneM wrote:

> My older FIC FR33 mobo has a slot for an arm modem which I purchased from PC
> Direct Source. I've inserted the card, but it doesn't appear in the Device
> Manager. I've checked and it seems to be seated all the way and there
> doesn't appear to be any jumpers on the board and my mobo manual doesn't
> indicate that anything has to be enabled to recognize the card.
>
> If I enable the mobo on-chip modem, XP Pro finds and installs a Smartlink
> PCI 0 device. However there is no modem input/output on the mobo.

Actually, there is. The on-board modem input/output is located at, tada,
the AMR (not arm) slot. AMR stands for Audio Modem Riser.

All the AMR 'modem card' does is, basically, provide the physical phone
line interface but the 'modem' function itself is done by the processor in
conjunction with the on-board audio.

Cheap, as it's a software modem, and the separate AMR card makes it easy to
make a few different models for the phone co line requirements (the only
hardware that changes as the rest is software) in different countries.

> We use RR ISP service; so I don't need a dialup modem at the moment but I
> was planning on taking this machine to FL for the winter and we'll have to
> use a dialup service while in FL
> .
> Am I missing something in the installation of the ARM device?

It should work properly with the on-board modem enabled in BIOS.

> TIA,
>
> Wayne

Thanx Dave.

My bad in transposing the r and m. Actually I tried enabling the on-chip
modem yesterday but I still couldn't get it working. PC Direct Source
directed me to site where I could download a .rar driver file which I was
able to unzip but it seems to be for a HSP56 MR by PCTel.

Do I need these in addition to the drivers that XP Pro found for the on-chip
SmartLink 56K Voice Modem?

Wayne
"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> WayneM wrote:
>
>> My older FIC FR33 mobo has a slot for an arm modem which I purchased from
>> PC Direct Source. I've inserted the card, but it doesn't appear in the
>> Device Manager. I've checked and it seems to be seated all the way and
>> there doesn't appear to be any jumpers on the board and my mobo manual
>> doesn't indicate that anything has to be enabled to recognize the card.
>>
>> If I enable the mobo on-chip modem, XP Pro finds and installs a Smartlink
>> PCI 0 device. However there is no modem input/output on the mobo.
>
> Actually, there is. The on-board modem input/output is located at, tada,
> the AMR (not arm) slot. AMR stands for Audio Modem Riser.
>
> All the AMR 'modem card' does is, basically, provide the physical phone
> line interface but the 'modem' function itself is done by the processor in
> conjunction with the on-board audio.
>
> Cheap, as it's a software modem, and the separate AMR card makes it easy
> to make a few different models for the phone co line requirements (the
> only hardware that changes as the rest is software) in different
> countries.
>

>> We use RR ISP service; so I don't need a dialup modem at the moment but I
>> was planning on taking this machine to FL for the winter and we'll have
>> to use a dialup service while in FL
>> .
>> Am I missing something in the installation of the ARM device?
>
> It should work properly with the on-board modem enabled in BIOS.
>

>> TIA,
>>
>> Wayne

Scott

"WayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Thanx Dave.
>
> My bad in transposing the r and m. Actually I tried enabling the on-chip
> modem yesterday but I still couldn't get it working. PC Direct Source
> directed me to site where I could download a .rar driver file which I was
> able to unzip but it seems to be for a HSP56 MR by PCTel.
>
> Do I need these in addition to the drivers that XP Pro found for the
on-chip
> SmartLink 56K Voice Modem?
>
> Wayne
> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > WayneM wrote:
> >
> >> My older FIC FR33 mobo has a slot for an arm modem which I purchased
from
> >> PC Direct Source. I've inserted the card, but it doesn't appear in the
> >> Device Manager. I've checked and it seems to be seated all the way and
> >> there doesn't appear to be any jumpers on the board and my mobo manual
> >> doesn't indicate that anything has to be enabled to recognize the card.
> >>
> >> If I enable the mobo on-chip modem, XP Pro finds and installs a
Smartlink
> >> PCI 0 device. However there is no modem input/output on the mobo.

I think i had one of those! And i remember it was HELL to install. I ended
up having to install the Windows 2000 driver to get it to work. Hopefully
that can help you some of the way though I know it's probably not that much
help and you are probably screaming at my post now!
lol

Scott

WayneM wrote:

> Thanx Dave.
>
> My bad in transposing the r and m. Actually I tried enabling the on-chip
> modem yesterday but I still couldn't get it working.

What does it 'do' when it's not working? You said it was recognized in
device manager.

> PC Direct Source
> directed me to site where I could download a .rar driver file which I was
> able to unzip but it seems to be for a HSP56 MR by PCTel.
>
> Do I need these in addition to the drivers that XP Pro found for the on-chip
> SmartLink 56K Voice Modem?

It would be 'instead of', but I don't know what chipset your modem is. I
would presume, however, that PC Direct Source 'should' know which driver is
right so try it.

> Wayne
> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>WayneM wrote:
>>

>>>My older FIC FR33 mobo has a slot for an arm modem which I purchased from
>>>PC Direct Source. I've inserted the card, but it doesn't appear in the
>>>Device Manager. I've checked and it seems to be seated all the way and
>>>there doesn't appear to be any jumpers on the board and my mobo manual
>>>doesn't indicate that anything has to be enabled to recognize the card.
>>>
>>>If I enable the mobo on-chip modem, XP Pro finds and installs a Smartlink
>>>PCI 0 device. However there is no modem input/output on the mobo.
>>
>>Actually, there is. The on-board modem input/output is located at, tada,
>>the AMR (not arm) slot. AMR stands for Audio Modem Riser.
>>
>>All the AMR 'modem card' does is, basically, provide the physical phone
>>line interface but the 'modem' function itself is done by the processor in
>>conjunction with the on-board audio.
>>
>>Cheap, as it's a software modem, and the separate AMR card makes it easy
>>to make a few different models for the phone co line requirements (the
>>only hardware that changes as the rest is software) in different
>>countries.
>>

>>>We use RR ISP service; so I don't need a dialup modem at the moment but I
>>>was planning on taking this machine to FL for the winter and we'll have
>>>to use a dialup service while in FL
>>>.
>>>Am I missing something in the installation of the ARM device?
>>
>>It should work properly with the on-board modem enabled in BIOS.
>>

>>>TIA,
>>>
>>>Wayne

I had the same problem, installing the pctel drivers fixed it.