ARM Reveals Cortex-A7 Chip, big.LITTLE Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I find it amazing how fast mobile processing is developing lately! It makes the PC hardware development look sluggish, and out of all honesty, it makes buying a new phone at this point seem kind of intimidating...

Normally I would say just buy something, don't wait for it, but with how fast these phones are progressing lately the price you pay today is staggering given how fast they depreciate...

I mean, a PC depreciates fast but this stuff.... :cry:

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Well, if they've finally solved the lag you get when opening apps, and tilting the screen (which NO tablet or phone does effectively), then count me in.

But if it still uses the A7 for that, forget it because the A15's power will be wasted- if the A15 is even fast enough to compensate.

And as for deprecation: if you're not one of those who get a new phone every 3 years (the reasonable lifespan for such a device), it really doesn't matter.
The smartphone concept is only 4 years old anyways (mainstream, it's only two years)- and people who bought those 4-year-old phones have already upgraded (because they're Apple users). The Nexus One is only 2 years old.
3 year old dumb phones were worthless to begin- they don't deprecate at all.

gladosiri

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
This is good. Now I can be more interactive with the meatbags for possibly 5 times more before I turn off. Oh joy.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Ooppsss sorry guys, my comment above was for another thread. Anyone can tell me how to edit the post? I can't find any options :(

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]Ooppsss sorry guys, my comment above was for another thread. Anyone can tell me how to edit the post? I can't find any options[/citation]

Click the "Read the comments on the forums" link and you will see all of your standard forum-editing options in there.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]Isn't this the same concept as the 5-th core in nVidia's Tegra 3 (Kal El)?[/citation]
Same concept, although Nvidia is using a low power Cortex A9 instead.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Same concept, although Nvidia is using a low power Cortex A9 instead.[/citation]
I wonder if nVidia managed to patent the idea. That would be a patent with real weight!

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]I find it amazing how fast mobile processing is developing lately! It makes the PC hardware development look sluggish, and out of all honesty, it makes buying a new phone at this point seem kind of intimidating...Normally I would say just buy something, don't wait for it, but with how fast these phones are progressing lately the price you pay today is staggering given how fast they depreciate...I mean, a PC depreciates fast but this stuff....[/citation]

Yeah, but compare performance. Desktops require so much more power, while smart phones require so little.

Overall this is good - why? Because size, and power/heat efficiency are EXTREMELY important for the future of desktops & computing in general.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]I wonder if nVidia managed to patent the idea. That would be a patent with real weight![/citation]

It not an nVidia idea. It's a ARM development that is there to be licensed as a stepping stone toward this release. The A7 can work as stand-alone or as part of an A15 core which will accept one instruction set and then use the appopriate core depending on performance and power consumption needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.