Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello all,

I am building a rig consisting of these parts:

i5 3570k (3.4GHz Quad-core)

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3-1600 RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB

and finally, a 120 gb SSD along with a 1 tera HDD.

I know there are threads almost exactly like this one, but none to suit my build. I would just like to know if I could max out ARMA II and the upcoming DayZ standalone with a solid 60+fps on a 24" at 1920x1080p. I will be putting both games on the SSD for the fastest boot and load times.

Thank you guys very much!

Solution
I'm so very confident you'll struggle to reach 60fps on max, unless you're not including AA or the 3D resolution into that (There's a lot of settings for ArmA II, putting them all on max is near impossible) You could easily get 60fps for the most part though with 3d res at 100% and post-processing (Really heavy in this game) reduced a little, then after that everything on max just about UNLESS you go into a city, I'm sorry but your processor just doesn't cut it my 4.1 quad core dropped me down to 20-30fps playing ArmA II yesterday (Without Dayz), unfortunately, the fastest cores for this game are single core. After saying all that though, I wouldn't worry too much, it just won't be perfectly ran like you said; still worth it, though...

Mad-Blue-Eyes

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I'm so very confident you'll struggle to reach 60fps on max, unless you're not including AA or the 3D resolution into that (There's a lot of settings for ArmA II, putting them all on max is near impossible) You could easily get 60fps for the most part though with 3d res at 100% and post-processing (Really heavy in this game) reduced a little, then after that everything on max just about UNLESS you go into a city, I'm sorry but your processor just doesn't cut it my 4.1 quad core dropped me down to 20-30fps playing ArmA II yesterday (Without Dayz), unfortunately, the fastest cores for this game are single core. After saying all that though, I wouldn't worry too much, it just won't be perfectly ran like you said; still worth it, though with dayz coming out standalone soon I would wait

As for the stand alone

No idea, it's supposed to be a lot smooth though, and hopefully, it'll use the graphics card more; that's the reason the game's so slow at the moment, because it doesn't use the graphics card much, but they're using a mesh of engines by the sounds of it for the standalone so it's meant to be a lot smoother, bear in mind ArmA II was made in 2008 (I think?) so this will be a lot different, and I'm very confident you can run a consistent 60fps, as they've made it so city don't produce fps drops, not sure on the settings though, just be happy it's possible to get the game smooth (Even Frankie (Youtube him) doesn't play at 60fps in cities)

Solution

EthanKinnear

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed answer.

I am fine with turning some of the settings down on Arma II to get a solid frame rate. I understand that the DayZ standalone will be much more optimized and be less of a strain in the CPU.

Arma III which is also coming out soon is rumored to be much, much more optimized than previous installments so I am guessing the performance wil be equal to that of Arma II or better.

I love Frankie, and I am already subscribed to him, great player and nice guy all around. I remember him saying in one of his first DayZ videos, that he is hitting around 30 fps in cities on his rig, so I guess it is the same for everyone.

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS