Arma III PhysX? Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehiddenlotus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
So I pretty much had my new gaming build finished and was just waiting for a good deal on a 7870 xt/le but then I found out Arma III is going to utilize PhysX... Most of the other games that implement it weren't that impressive to me except for Borderlands 2 and I have already played that so I decided I would go with Radeon to get the most bang for my buck but now that Arma will use PhysX I don't know what to do...
Should I spring for a Nvidia card? Will it be worth it? I didn't want to spend much more over $210 USD... What do you guys think?

Build so far...
CPU - AMD FX-6300
MOBO - MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600
SSD - Samsung 840-Series MZ-7TD120BW 120GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500Gb Hard Drive

Solution
Well I may have misread. But I read that Arma 3 is using PhysX 3.0, which is optimized for multithreading CPUs so in theory you can do without a Nvidia card and still run PhysX without too much performance hit.

... Which I think will be the case for Arma 3 as it's very limited how much the game uses PhysX and it does not use APEX, which is used for creating realstic clothing and fancy stuff like that. This is how I have interpreted it.

Also the destruction environment will still be scripted and is not based on PhysX.

Oh.. And do't quote me on anything I've just said :D
G

If your that set on nvidia best card for that price range is the gtx 660 non ti.I would get either the zotac amp or the msi twin frozr but even galaxy makes a nice card also.Arma 3 is my most anticipated game in well probably ever lol.Im trying to upgrade gtx 480 sli to either 660 non ti or 660 ti sli before it comes out.If not i think the 480 will do ok.I just hope bohemian does a better job of supporting dual cards this time.I got it to work once but the scaling was awful.Kinda why i want a stronger single card incase sli doesnt work for it.If it does sli 480 would still be plenty for sure.

do you really need the card now? if the main reason you're getting new card is for ARMA 3 then wait for the game to come out first. by then you should get clear picture about the game. btw i don't think ARMA 3 are going to employ physx like GearBox did to borderland 2. what good it did to arma 3 to employ such 'graphical' effect on a game that suppose to be like real military sim?

owens5054

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

they did just let out the alpa version for the people who pre-ordered it....

thehiddenlotus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I am gonna look at some videos and see the intensity of the PhysX implementation before making any decisions but I'm wondering if I could get a Nvidia card that even compared to a 7870 LE/XT at $230 USD?

thehiddenlotus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I have watched a few videos today and I don't think the PhysX implementation is all that impressive. I have hardly seen any at all. At most a little bit of rubble here and there but the game is still in Alpha so it could get a lot better. At this point though I think I'm going to go with a 7870 XT or LE because I haven't seen a Nvidia card in its price range that even compares...

G

If you look around you could probably get a gtx 580 used for around that maybe even cheaper.Im going to be running 7970/7950 xfire.I tried out the alpha today and was very suprized sli worked well.close to 100% scaling with my gtx 480's.I hope crossfire will run that good.

thehiddenlotus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

You're running GTX 480's in Arma 3 right now? Mind telling me how big the difference is with PhysX enabled and disabled?

G

Thing is im not seeing anything to turn phys x on or off.Im throwing my 7950 back in tommorow ill let you know if there are any differences.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Well I may have misread. But I read that Arma 3 is using PhysX 3.0, which is optimized for multithreading CPUs so in theory you can do without a Nvidia card and still run PhysX without too much performance hit.

... Which I think will be the case for Arma 3 as it's very limited how much the game uses PhysX and it does not use APEX, which is used for creating realstic clothing and fancy stuff like that. This is how I have interpreted it.

Also the destruction environment will still be scripted and is not based on PhysX.

Oh.. And do't quote me on anything I've just said :D

Solution

if you look at a glance what kind of game ARMA is you'll know Bohemia Interactive will not implementing effects like we seen in games like batman (arkham city/arkham asylum) or borderlands 2. to have physic engine in a game is to simulate how the object will react in real world virtually. that's how is see it when Bohemia Interactive want to do with PhysX and not some eye candy only stuff we've seen in games that use gpu accelerated PhysX in game. i haven't check much about ARMA III (but i admit that i'm considering to get this game once they came out) but i dare to bet that any physics done in the game might not rely on gpu at all.

Mahisse

Distinguished

Exactly my point also

Status
Not open for further replies.