Gunstarmax

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hi HI hi,
Ok- so here it is, i know you guys get asked this question a hundred times a day in lots of different formats BUT- i have a budget of around £300 and its time to upgrade my tired old athlon x2 4200. I have a Radeon 6850hd, a 600w psu, and i'm looking to get CPU, Mobo, 8gb Ram, and aftermarket cooler...
please advise!

As far as my usage goes- i play WoW, and a bunch of other fps games etc, AND i use Sony Vegas 11 and fraps (which i want to use on fullsize!) So it has to be able to handle all that pajazz...

So far i've been looking at the AMD fx4170 with a 990fx mobo, or maybe an fx8120? I'm a bit in the dark here-

i read a lot of back and forth word wars over intel vs amd hardware, so i'm all ears! I don't mind either way as long as i get the best hit for my bucks!

Solution

There are no longer any good reasons to go with AMD over i5, certainly not for games. This guy is dead wrong. As recent articles have shown, there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD in games. The Intel chips will also use less power, and run cooler; so ignore this. He is wise to stay away from forums like this, because he is probably made to appear like an idiot...

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Aftermarket cooler. What's the point? manufacture of the chip spends a lot of money and time getting the heatsink and fan correct for the CPU. Unless you have a specific need to have more cooling eg no fan(silent) or over clocking then change the cooler.

Gunstarmax

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
recon-uk, your link just goes to their main page and i cant find the deal your talking about... i'm not saying its not there of course- just that numnuts here cant see it!

davidgermain- i just read that stock hsf's were not all they could be... i'm willing to debunk that myth, especially if it saves me money!

the store i've always used is http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/?m=1,&o=2

they seem to have some good deals but which is best?

would it be better to get a mobo bundle or put it together myself?

upsguy1974

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I would go with the FX 8120 if your primary use is gaming. Many reasons to go with AMD over i5 2400 or 2500K. AMD is all around a better chip for gaming. Intel is way better for multitasking and program operation. If you are on a tight budget, which it sounds like you are, then AMD is the way to go. More bang for the buck. Check out www.pcpartpicker.com Really helpful site.

There are no longer any good reasons to go with AMD over i5, certainly not for games. This guy is dead wrong. As recent articles have shown, there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD in games. The Intel chips will also use less power, and run cooler; so ignore this. He is wise to stay away from forums like this, because he is probably made to appear like an idiot and/or fanboy.
Disclaimer: I've built more AMD than Intel systems over the last few years, so I am not speaking as a fanboy myself. AMD used to be the better choice for low-budget systems, my usual range. The last one I built was a hopeful bet on BD however, which turned out to not be the best way to have gone. That said, a Phenom II is certainly a good chip, but Intel is better; upgrades to an existing AMD system are likely, but I don't anticipate building another one.

If you can fit a Z68 mobo and an i5-2500K into your budget, those would be outstanding. In that case, the aftermarket cooler would allow you to overclock the CPU (which you cannot do with an i5-2400), and it would remain quiet. The Intel stock coolers are certainly sufficient at, you guessed it, STOCK, but if you intend to overclock (and you needn't feel compelled to do so), you do want a better cooler.

Solution

Gunstarmax

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Ok So firstly- Thankyou all for your input- it is greatly appreciated!
I'm going to up my budget to £350 and go with:

I5 2500k

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard (cheapest one at £140)

And 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHZ Module

Which comes out at about £350. Then I can OC it later on when I get a better hsf. :)
Thanks again!

upsguy1974

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

LOL. Wow. If you do anything constructive today, do me a favor and read this: IT WAS MY OPINION!!! Bashing someone's opinion is something people do to make themselves appear smarter than they are. The guy asked for opinions and thats what these forums are for. So keep the insults to yourself because the only one that was impressed by it was you.

lpiotoole

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

But the fact of the matter is you are wrong... and he is 100% right. I5 outperforms AMD for gamimg.

TRENDING THREADS