[SOLVED] Arris G34 and Sparklight GigaOne

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Im looking all over and cant find a definative answer to if the Arris G34 is compatible with Sparklight... I am wanting to upgrade to gig internet and my neighbor has a brand new one of these in box hes willing to sell me for $150 and they are like $280. It checks all the boxes for DOCSIS 3.1 and WiFi 6 etc. but its not on the "official" list from sparklight. Does anyone know if that will work for sure so I can upgrade the service with no fuss? I dont want to waste money if there is someone who knows for sure. Thanks for any feedback.

Solution
The mac address is on the outside of the box. The real reason you ask about the mac is not to really see if it valid but to pretend that you did not already read their list and know that modem is not on the list. What you hope is the tech has a different list of devices that work.

Generally I recommend people buy a separate modem and router that way when new tech comes out for the router you can replace just that. Like wifi6 is already outdated by wifi6e.
Does sparklight use docsis 3.1 they can actually get gigabit speeds from 3.0

Your best option is to get the mac address of the modem. Call or email the ISP and ask if this device can be activated on their network. Although unlikely you have to be sure the device mac is not on the blacklist because it was reported stolen.

Generally all docsis things will technically work on any cable system. The problem is the ISP is responsible for all firmware on the modems even when you own the modem. They do not wan to support a large number of different modems so they have lists. This and other reasons is why you do not see hauwei cable modems used in the USA even though they techically will work fine and they are a lot cheaper.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Does sparklight use docsis 3.1 they can actually get gigabit speeds from 3.0

Your best option is to get the mac address of the modem. Call or email the ISP and ask if this device can be activated on their network. Although unlikely you have to be sure the device mac is not on the blacklist because it was reported stolen.

Generally all docsis things will technically work on any cable system. The problem is the ISP is responsible for all firmware on the modems even when you own the modem. They do not wan to support a large number of different modems so they have lists. This and other reasons is why you do not see hauwei cable modems used in the USA even though they techically will work fine and they are a lot cheaper.
Yeah they say 3.0 or 3.1. Also the model one step below which uses wifi 5 instead of 6 is on their "approved list" from arris.... I think the g34 was released in October so maybe sparklights list is up to date (they have approved modems on that list that are so old theyve been discontinued). So just the MAC address would be needed to "see" if the isp can activate it?

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Yeah they say 3.0 or 3.1. Also the model one step below which uses wifi 5 instead of 6 is on their "approved list" from arris.... I think the g34 was released in October so maybe sparklights list is up to date (they have approved modems on that list that are so old theyve been discontinued). So just the MAC address would be needed to "see" if the isp can activate it?
Oh and do you know if the mac address is on the outside of the box or stickered on the actual modem? I ask cause the modem is still sealed in box and he can't return it if opened...?

The problem is, the cable companies install their own profiles into the modem remotely. These profiles dictate the speed you pay for and some other operations of the modem. So if it just came out in October, the cable company may not have created their own custom profiles for the modem yet. The cable company may pick it up as the previous Arris modem model, and may install that profile, who knows.

The mac address is on the outside of the box. The real reason you ask about the mac is not to really see if it valid but to pretend that you did not already read their list and know that modem is not on the list. What you hope is the tech has a different list of devices that work.

Generally I recommend people buy a separate modem and router that way when new tech comes out for the router you can replace just that. Like wifi6 is already outdated by wifi6e.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS