Question Arris Router check docsis and surprise (to me)

silsurf

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2016
I have an Arris SBG8300 Router I am planning to sell. I reset it to factory settings and was surprised when it started acting as a bridge on my current wifi mesh. I have a small Unifi setup with AP's hard lined throughout my house. After factory resetting the Arris and having it plugged into the network, it just started acting as a bridge to the network. I was just surprised and thought someone could add some info on this. It shows up on my Unifi network console, but is not assigned an IP address?

The second question is how to I confirm if this is a docsis 2 or docsis 3 router? My other routers state iton the label, but this one does not. Just want to make sure I am including that info when I sell it.

Thanks

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I have an Arris SBG8300 Router I am planning to sell. I reset it to factory settings and was surprised when it started acting as a bridge on my current wifi mesh. I have a small Unifi setup with AP's hard lined throughout my house. After factory resetting the Arris and having it plugged into the network, it just started acting as a bridge to the network. I was just surprised and thought someone could add some info on this. It shows up on my Unifi network console, but is not assigned an IP address?

The second question is how to I confirm if this is a docsis 2 or docsis 3 router? My other routers state iton the label, but this one does not. Just want to make sure I am including that info when I sell it.

Thanks
By looking at the bottom of the the router verify the Arris is a SBG8300
Then read the docs. "When all else fails read the docs."

It might be running as a bridge but I doubt it. If that was the factory configuration most people would never be able to use it as modem/router combo unit. You need to plug a pc in and then do basic configuration via a web browser. If it was just a modem or actually in true bridge mode you would have to manually make setting in the PC which your average consumer would not know how to do.

You probably just got lucky and it did not mess your network up.

Like almost every router the lan ports and the wifi all on 1 network. They act as a switch that would have wifi port. Since you do not have a ethernet wan port you must have plugged into one of the lan port.

The problem is you now have 2 routers on your network. Worst case would be if they both used the same IP network. Next problem would be if both run DHCP..which tends to be the default. Could be when you reboot one of your machine it will get a IP address from this router rather than your actual router.

silsurf

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks. The "bridge" behavior was that after a reset and while plugged into my network switch, if I used the out of the box ssid the Arris was distributing, it had internet on it, even though the router was not provisioned. Then I looked at the Unifi console and saw it there, but no IP assigned. Anyway, it doesnt really matter I was curious.

I will make sure the ethernet is plugged into the WAN port and then see if it gets assigned an IP

TRENDING THREADS