[SOLVED] Arris router status

Solution
I normally power cycle the modem once every couple weeks or so OR if the "internet" feels off. I've called my ISP recently and the tech said the signals are good. Even tho I don't feel it is, based off of how the "internet was when I first got it hooked up and the 2x they came to my place to adjust the signals (internet is great when they do but last anywhere from 30 mins to couple days then slowly back to sh*t).

My ping is about 13ms avg tested to a server 10mins away. That seems a little to high for the server to be that close to me. It was normally 9ms or less when I was using a Cisco modem.

But I am recieving my subscribed down/upoad speeds most of the time 50/2. Jitter skyrockets at times tho. I believe I am getting packet...

kanewolf

Titan
Hell no--the number of uncorrectables is very high for a single day of uptime. I just checked mine and it doesn't even have 100 uncorrectables on any channel with 25 days of uptime.

Time to call your isp to have them fix it.
Although with the number of octets shown, I don't know if those counters reset with a reboot. That is an error rate of 0.00023 %
I would recommend clicking on the "Reset FEC Counters" and seeing what the counts are after a day. That might be a false positive.

Although with the number of octets shown, I don't know if those counters reset with a reboot. That is an error rate of 0.00023 %
I would recommend clicking on the "Reset FEC Counters" and seeing what the counts are after a day. That might be a false positive.
They do on every arris I've seen--they don't even keep the event log, lol. Clicking the reset might not be a bad idea, but rebooting the whole thing might be even better.

I can't even see my octet count on mine and with a 500/50 service I'm sure 25 days of uptime would be much higher number of octets with an order of magnitude of less errors--something is definitely wrong with the signal coming in imo. Could also be a bad modem, but that's pretty rare ime.

Baggedblue70

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
They do on every arris I've seen--they don't even keep the event log, lol. Clicking the reset might not be a bad idea, but rebooting the whole thing might be even better.

I can't even see my octet count on mine and with a 500/50 service I'm sure 25 days of uptime would be much higher number of octets with an order of magnitude of less errors--something is definitely wrong with the signal coming in imo. Could also be a bad modem, but that's pretty rare ime.

I usually power cycle the modem once a week or if the "internet" seems off. I've called many times and they say the signals "look good". I believe I'm suffering some packet loss too.

Baggedblue70

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020

I normally power cycle the modem once every couple weeks or so OR if the "internet" feels off. I've called my ISP recently and the tech said the signals are good. Even tho I don't feel it is, based off of how the "internet was when I first got it hooked up and the 2x they came to my place to adjust the signals (internet is great when they do but last anywhere from 30 mins to couple days then slowly back to sh*t).

My ping is about 13ms avg tested to a server 10mins away. That seems a little to high for the server to be that close to me. It was normally 9ms or less when I was using a Cisco modem.

But I am recieving my subscribed down/upoad speeds most of the time 50/2. Jitter skyrockets at times tho. I believe I am getting packet loss quite a bit.

Last edited:
I usually power cycle the modem once a week or if the "internet" seems off. I've called many times and they say the signals "look good". I believe I'm suffering some packet loss too.
If you think you're having some packet loss, you have to get them to catch it in the act. You'll need to call in and specifically have them run a ping to your modem and see if they see any packet loss. If they do, then they will fix it. But if they don't, even if the packet loss is in their network before it goes out to the Internet, it's hard to get this fixed without someone higher up seeing it, and that's next to impossible. :(

But I am recieving my subscribed down/upoad speeds most of the time 50/2. Jitter skyrockets at times tho. I believe I am getting packet loss quite a bit.
The two tools I've used to nail this down and get 'proof' to an isp is a broadband monitor from thinkbroadband and using the line test from freeola. The freeola line test will show packet loss and jitter in real time while the thinkbroadband monitor should pick up any packet loss on a regular basis.

I actually still use the thinkbroadband monitors on all my isp accounts since I can see any issues even if I don't feel them--like today on one of my charter lines:
382b0bb8ed0f52d92889475cacb7c6016493ff34.png

Solution

Baggedblue70

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
The two tools I've used to nail this down and get 'proof' to an isp is a broadband monitor from thinkbroadband and using the line test from freeola. The freeola line test will show packet loss and jitter in real time while the thinkbroadband monitor should pick up any packet loss on a regular basis.

I actually still use the thinkbroadband monitors on all my isp accounts since I can see any issues even if I don't feel them--like today on one of my charter lines:
382b0bb8ed0f52d92889475cacb7c6016493ff34.png

Thanks for your input. I will give it a try. Hopefully something will show so I can let my ISP know.