Question Artefacts with new 3060 Ti and now also with old 1060 Ti ?

Oct 23, 2021
Hi all,

so I've spent the last couple of days understanding the issue and maybe someone can help me.
I recently got a new video card ASUS TUF RTX 3060 TI 8GB V2 GAMING from alternate. Directly slotted it in, once it arrived, reinstalled drivers and started playing.
I tested multiple games, checking out the performance improvements. No issues at all and the card was performing really well.

After about 5 hours of gaming, I think I was playing MSFS 2020, the screen went black and back on again and black shapes started to show and flickering lights.
Not thinking much (MSFS after all) I went out of the game and started Far Cry 6 again (I played it for a couple of hours before and knew it ran smoothly).

To my surprise FC also started showing artefacts as you can see in the image below:

Lots of flashing lights in all colors, weird black stripes, dead pixels, horrible stuff. I kind of knew I had to return the card at this point but out of interest wanted to look into it a bit more.
So I tested 2 more games which I tested earlier and both of them now crashed instantly when starting to render anything 3D related (not in the menus).
Restart, Safe mode DDU driver uninstall and reinstall, nothing worked still getting crashes and artefacts.

I then downloaded GPU Tweak from ASUS and noticed that when I switched on the "Always 3D Clock" button in the "Advanced" section, the artefacts disappeared.
Not sure what to make of that, I also noticed that the GPU clock was constantly at 1755Mhz with always clock enabled and before spiked at around 1950Mhz while gaming without it.
I played around 2 hours afterwards and got no artefacts at all, just had to switch on that button in GPUTweak.

Next day, I removed the new card, put my old one in (ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060) and again DDU/reinstall drivers.
Here is where the weird part starts: I also got artefacts on my old card?! The artefacting was less intense but still very noticable, also the games that crashed with the new card also crashed with the old one now.
Out of options I reinstalled windows and voila the artefacts on the old card were gone. Again tested over a couple of hours and no artefacts. But that got me thinking that the issue might not be the card after all.
After another day using the old graphic card and researching on the issue still no artefacts. Read some people suggesting trying out a different PSU might be helpful to rule out power issues.
So I did that, tried a different PSU put in the new card - still artefacts, switched back to the old card and AGAIN artefacts on the old card as well. Again tried to uninstall all drivers in safe mode using DDU and couldn't get rid of artefacts.
Also tried a window restore (no reinstall yet), but that also didn't fix the issue.

For now I am going to wait for Alternate to get back to me to return the new card but I still wonder now if the card might have damaged my mainboard or other components as well seeing I get artefacts on the old card now?
I also don't want to test the cards (old or new) in another PC fearing that they might damage that one as well. I think the only option is to reinstall windows again and see if that fixes it for the old card at least. Or should I try to get a replacement for my mainboard straight away?

Specs:

Mainboard: PRIME X570-Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4, 2 GHz
Old GC: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060
New GC: ASUS TUF RTX 3060 TI 8GB V2 GAMING
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3600MHz
PSU: Tested with ASUS ROG Strix 750W and be quiet! Pure Power 600W both 80Plus Gold

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS