Artifacting and game crashing

Dec 14, 2018
I have an Rx Vega 56 Strix OC ed. Whilst it does usually function in light games, in heavier games such as MHW or Insurgency Sandstorm, artifacting occurs and then a crash. It does not crash the whole driver rather just the game. I was thinking it might be my PSU but then i tought it would crash the whole system not just the game. Could it also be my Memory? I've been having some BSODS as of late.

Just to be clear. Are you manually OC'ing CPU or GPU(I'm not referring to the OC edition of the card). As drivinfast247 said, if there is a manual OC, then set everything to stock and try again. This applies to ram too.

If that doesn't help, i'd suggest you run something like HWMon/Info and monitor the temps/voltage/load on the GPU, and the rest of the system too. If the temps are specially high, it could cause artifact in the same way a poor manual OC can do.

Listing your specs in full will really help too.

Try the obvious stuff. Update GPU driver to the latest, update system drivers, and even do a bios update if there is a new one.

It could be memory, you can test that with memtest86+ and run a few passes at stock speed. It's unlikely a system memory issues would cause on screen artifacts. But it could cause random crashes.

Dec 14, 2018
Ryzen 5 2600x running at 30C idle and 56 load. Gpu stays at 33C idle and 64 in full load.
Specs: R5 2600x
2x8Gb Corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200mhz
Mobo strix x470 gaming f
Psu corsair rm750x
1tb samsung ssd
1tb seagate hdd

Why are you undervolting the GPU?

Have you undervolted to potentially solve the issue of artifacting, or has the problem started since you are undervolting?

Dec 14, 2018
As far as i know undervolting vega cards is good practice as it reduces the tdp and allows the gpu to boost further and artefacting started just recently, about 1 week ago and it also rarely happens.

That may very well be the case. But you have changed the parameters of how the card works, and subsequently have issues!

Set the card at stock, forget about the extra 20mhz boost you may or may not get, and make sure the system works as it should at stock. It's possible your card isn't getting enough juice to be stable. -100mv isn't too much, but could be enough to make unstable.