Artifacting from overclock?

ohyes247

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
So.. This has happened twice now.. both times underload while being in game

988468_692656080782862_6127341181238014749_n.jpg

The stock clocks on my card Which is the Gigabyte HD 6870 Windforce 1GB OC'd edition.
Core: 915. Memory:1050.

I didnt mess with the voltages and i bumped them up to 970 core and 1225 memory because i heard these cards really benefit from memory overclocks. I had the voltages stock and to my surprise it actually was stable (so i thought) and i was able to play games like MLB 2k12 and Just cause 2 both on Highest settings for hours on end. But last night i tried Bioshock inifinite and it did what i took a picture of. the screen doesnt go black or freeze for a second it just goes straight to the split screen with the right side on the left and the left side on the right.

I just want to know if this is cuz the overclock or if i need to save for a new gpu.. Im only 15 and deadbeat broke so if its the card itself (which i got at microcenter a few months back for 98$ refurb'd) i need to know so i can start saving and buy a new gpu. (probably a R9 270) Any help would be appreciated. And I said im only 15 but dont talk to me and dumb things down just be straight forward with any help. i built my pc myself and know all the terms and stuff. so i know my way around PC and geek language lol.

Other info:
Changing resolution did not fix the screen.
Ctrl,Alt,Dlt did not fix.
Alt-tabbing from game does not fix.
Resetting to stock clocks does not fix
Only resetting PC works.

biopolar

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
If you are experiencing those artifacts while OC'd, then you are not stable. It may not appear in one game, but does in another, it means that you still aren't stable.

Bioshock Infinite is a bit more exhaustive than Just Cause 2 which is why an artifact may happen in that game in an unstable OC.
As you said, you didn't touch your voltage. You have a choice. You either bump up the voltage little by little and test for a stable system, until the artifacts no longer appear, or go back to your default if you do not feel confident enough to experiment. Before you do experiment, always research before ending up burned.

E: Just now seeing your card, I'd definitely opt for an upgrade or keeping it at default / OC for less exhaustive games.

ohyes247

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Updated my video drivers too just now, Ill see if it happens again. I downed my OC's to 950 core and 1200 memory. if it happens again ill go back to stock and if it doesnt happen guess im good if it does again, then yeah.. gonna sell it and get money for either 270 or 270x