Skyler Vinsonhaler

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Yesterday, PC wouldn't boot. Unplugged everything, brought it to garage and canned air the inside, unpluged and re-plugged inside components. After bringing it back in and plugging in everything back externally, it was up and working.

After an AMD update, started to have things artifacts hard on WoW, (especially loading screens or if I watch someone stream).

Not sure if something is going out, or a bad update. Was having trouble finding how to downgrade the update to check. Just a bit frazzled and worried it might be something else entirely. End of the month I could buy a replacement part, but I'm not paid much.

Specs
(see below reply @ DSzymborski)

Last edited:
Solution
Uninstall the drivers and then just choose an older version to install.

Outside of that, artifacting very frequently means failing VRAM on the GPU. I'm not crazy about the power supply given the general low quality the PSUs Raidmax sells that aren't using Andyson's Titanium-rated platform, but it's not such an awful PSU that it's likely the cause of failing VRAM (should that be the issue).

The RX 480s started coming out in June 2016, so it's possible you're near the end of the warranty period, which is usually three years, unless you've already passed it. But if you're near the end of the warranty period, you want to RMA this very quickly before it's not an option.

Skyler Vinsonhaler

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
MB, thought they all posted together. I'll just type it out.
AMD Ryzen 7 1700xCPU
MSI B350M Gaming Promobo
XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000RAM
XFX RX 480 (8gb)GPU
Raidmax Vampire 700 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modularPSU
Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inchSSD
2x Acer KG241 PMonitors

Just lemme know if you need anything else!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Outside of that, artifacting very frequently means failing VRAM on the GPU. I'm not crazy about the power supply given the general low quality the PSUs Raidmax sells that aren't using Andyson's Titanium-rated platform, but it's not such an awful PSU that it's likely the cause of failing VRAM (should that be the issue).

The RX 480s started coming out in June 2016, so it's possible you're near the end of the warranty period, which is usually three years, unless you've already passed it. But if you're near the end of the warranty period, you want to RMA this very quickly before it's not an option.

Reactions: Skyler Vinsonhaler
Solution

Skyler Vinsonhaler

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Development: While testing, prior to installing and during older drivers, found that if only one of the monitors are on, I will not experience any artifacting. But if Both are on, it will artifact like crazy during loading times of games.

Did you try re-sitting the GPU and unplugging and re-plugging monitor outputs?

Tried those and tried different ports on the gpu, still happening.

Tried uninstalling and installing 19.7.1, still experiencing it when both monitors are on.

I'll look into the RMA process, never had to do one before, I cant remember when I got the gpu, its about 2-ish years old, but I'll check my reciept

edit: looks like I got it 11/11/2016, so its within RMA period if its from purchase date!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Development: While testing, prior to installing and during older drivers, found that if only one of the monitors are on, I will not experience any artifacting. But if Both are on, it will artifact like crazy during loading times of games.

Tried those and tried different ports on the gpu, still happening.

Tried uninstalling and installing 19.7.1, still experiencing it when both monitors are on.

I'll look into the RMA process, never had to do one before, I cant remember when I got the gpu, its about 2-ish years old, but I'll check my reciept

edit: looks like I got it 11/11/2016, so its within RMA period if its from purchase date!

It should be! Definitely contact MSI as soon as you can.

Skyler Vinsonhaler

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Also, make sure to register your GPU with XFX if you have not already.

One worry: With XFX, the common three-year warranty is only two years for a few models that have turbine fans instead of the big aftermarket blowers.

https://www.xfxforce.com/support/xfx-warranty
I did check, and the model I have is a RX-480M8BA, so I didnt see it as an exception from the list. Thanks for the heads up though, I was worried when I saw that!