Question Artifacting in specific game

jnk0095

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
(wasn't sure where to put this as I believe it may be a GPU issue?)
So I'll preface this by saying I'm not an expert when it comes to tech-related stuff but I know my way around.

So I built her a brand new rig with the following relevant specs:
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D Motherboard
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
NZXT Kraken Z63 AIO
Intel Core i9 11900
Corsair Vengeance 32GB
CoolerMaster 850V2

This was only like, 6 months ago. We've been away from home for a bit and upon returning, her gaming experience has started to suffer. She's playing (and streaming, mind you) games of relative high graphical intensity no problem; but we've recently started playing Hood Legends & Outlaws, in which there's really bad artifacting.
It's not a temperature issue as nothing passes 65, normally not even 60.

It's restricted to this game, not Conan Exiles or anything that requires far more juice to run.
In Hood it seems to only be blue flashes, but they're hectic and many. It looks like slow-bursting fireworks, but with post-processing turned to low (lowest the game allows) as well as the shadows dropped to low it'll only appear once in a blue moon.
I'd like to rule out the quick fixes before we start chucking in different cards etc; have already tried reattaching the cables.
I've read that it may be a faulty PSU as well as a GPU, but with an 850W I'm not too inclined to think that's the issue.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's restricted to this game, not Conan Exiles or anything that requires far more juice to run.

Rather than splitting the PC open, it could very well be game issue.

Here are few things to try,
link: https://www.gamenguides.com/hood-outlaws-legends-fps-drop-lag-and-performance-issues-fix

--

As far as system itself goes, run Unigine Superposition benchmark and look if you get artifacts there as well,
link: https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

Use the preset most suited for PC specs. Though, you can select weaker preset as well (e.g 1080p medium), if you want to be more thorough.

If there are no artifacts when benching GPU, then game is buggy.

jnk0095

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks. Ran a few various benchmarks; no artifacting but had a few black screen flickers in debugging mode - I'm not sure if this was just extreme load or if it implies there's something underlying wrong.

Had a thought while running this - could FPS capping make a difference if it's game related?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
could FPS capping make a difference if it's game related?

You could try.

Though, since it is most likely game issue, it's hard to tell what causes the artifact. Could be as simple as disabling/enabling one graphical option within the game itself. But all-in-all, if GPU would be the issue, artifacts appear regardless the in-game FPS. FPS plays a role in screen tearing though, but this is not considered as artifacting.

jnk0095

Reputable
Jan 9, 2019
You could try.

Though, since it is most likely game issue, it's hard to tell what causes the artifact. Could be as simple as disabling/enabling one graphical option within the game itself. But all-in-all, if GPU would be the issue, artifacts appear regardless the in-game FPS. FPS plays a role in screen tearing though, but this is not considered as artifacting.

Like I mentioned in the OP, lowering post-processing to the minimum helps a little, and turning shaders off helps a lot, just not completely. I'm not really sure where to go from here.
I suppose I'll bump the thread again should this occur in other games as well.