Question Artifacting on Dell Vostro V130

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
This laptop is most likely around 8 to 9 years old now. It used to be my father's work laptop until it got handed down to me. And just yesterday I noticed that Youtube videos started to show large amounts of artifacting. I checked and offline videos also get affected. The first time it happened, it seemingly went away after a while so I thought that the artifacting only happens a while after boot then stops. But then subsequent boots confirmed that it is in fact persistent.
Right now it seems like it's a hardware issue and there's no getting out of it other than getting a new laptop outright. What are your thoughts?
(Note: This laptop has a metal chassis and runs decently hot at around 70C. Used to be 80 before maintenance.)

Lutfij

Titan
I think your GPU is either giving up the ghost or that the internals of the laptop need a thorough cleansing of dirt and debris, not to mention a fresh application of thermal paste, provided the laptop is suffering from a heating issue and not one from components failing due to age.

The other fact is what OS you're running on it and what sort of app's are being tasked on that laptop. For something that's equipped with a first gen i3 processor, and 2GB's of ram, it should be retired.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I think your GPU is either giving up the ghost or that the internals of the laptop need a thorough cleansing of dirt and debris, not to mention a fresh application of thermal paste, provided the laptop is suffering from a heating issue and not one from components failing due to age.

The other fact is what OS you're running on it and what sort of app's are being tasked on that laptop. For something that's equipped with a first gen i3 processor, and 2GB's of ram, it should be retired.
First gen i5, 4 gigs of RAM and Windows 10 1903 I think. Dust and debris might not be an issue since I just got it cleaned and reapplied thermal paste a month ago.