[SOLVED] Artifacting on Windows startup but not in bios

Feb 14, 2021
Last night my display randomly started creating artifacts (controlled by my mouse cursor and opening applications) on both of my monitors. At first I thought it was my GPU (Gigabyte 3060ti OC 8g) and swapped it out to my older Gigabyte gtx 1660ti and the artifacting continued.

I read through reports that it could be a memory issue so I swapped to other RAM but no luck.

Tried to clean install Windows 10 but the artifacting continues before crashing.

Wondering if the issue would be with my Mobo or PSU

This is what it looks like when explorer is open but it flickers and resizes before crashing and rebooting
https://ibb.co/6FjDTMq

Edit:

To clarify, the weird artifacting issue continues past start up until it inevitably BSODs or I turn off the pc.

Last edited:
Solution
All graphics cards have a low res mode that works with no drivers.
That is what is used when you see your bios screen.

When windows is loaded, it will load graphics drivers which are likely the cause of such issues.
download and install your graphics driver directly from nvidia.

You can try loading windows in safe mode(f8) which loads minimal drivers.

When windows is loaded, it will load graphics drivers which are likely the cause of such issues.

Reactions: osan423
Solution
Feb 14, 2021

I've launched in safe mode with the same, although less severe, screen fluctuations. I uninstalled my gpu drivers but it didn't help and I've tried with two different GPUs so idk if its a windows issue or some other hardware issue. I ordered another power supply to test that out tomorrow. I'll see if I can completely remove the drivers later today

Feb 14, 2021

I did a clean install of windows ( forgetting to erase the original partitions earlier) and it still happened but I managed to get to my desktop finally. Then it started working out of nowhere, no more artifacts, but I still deleted the drivers just in case. I'm downloading now and I'll update tomorrow.

Mar 2, 2021
I did a clean install of windows ( forgetting to erase the original partitions earlier) and it still happened but I managed to get to my desktop finally. Then it started working out of nowhere, no more artifacts, but I still deleted the drivers just in case. I'm downloading now and I'll update tomorrow.
What happened with your card my guy?

TRENDING THREADS