[SOLVED] Artifacts followed by freezes and crashes

Saky94

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Hello good folk of Tom's hardware. I have an asus strix 1080ti, around 3 years old. Recently it's started showing artifacts followed by freesing as shown in the image.
View: http://imgur.com/a/50IriSg

This only happens during games and not while on the desktop, browsing or doing anything else. The game would sometimes work for 5 mins sometimes 10 or even 20 but it does happen at some point and the screen freezes(sound distorts/freezes too) and the only way to fix it is either a hard reset or sometimes if i wait a min or two, the game crashes back to desktop. It starts up back fine and runs for another 5 10 or 20 mins before it happens again. I have never overclocked the gpu. There are power outages in my country and i had an old psu (a cm silent pro m2 620) when this started happening a week back, i changed the psu to an xpg core reactor 750 w but it didnt help. Other things that i have tried include

1. Refreshed windows
  2. Tried different DP ports
  3. Used DDU
  4. Used previous version of nvidia driver
  5. Changed pcie slot
Complete specs are as follows
I7 9700k
Z390 prime A motherboard
16 gb ram corsair 3000 mhz(oced to 3600 mhz)
Xpg core reactor 750 w psu
Dell s2716dg monitor

I also used to get random stutters on my desktop but refreshing the windows seems to have fixed that.
Is my gpu dying? Has a power outage and my old psu messed with it? If it is dying, is there any way i can use it for a few more months till the market stabilizes and i can buy a new gpu? Any help would be appreciated
Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
Unfortunately that's signs of a dying GPU. You can lower core and especially memory clocks and you might get a little more time out of your GPU but it's not guaranteed and it's not gonna be for long. You should start saving for a new GPU.

Your previous PSU was BAD. Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems. It might have contributed to the GPU going bad as well. Fortunately you have a far better now. Tier A according to this Tier list
Unfortunately that's signs of a dying GPU. You can lower core and especially memory clocks and you might get a little more time out of your GPU but it's not guaranteed and it's not gonna be for long. You should start saving for a new GPU.

Your previous PSU was BAD. Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems. It might have contributed to the GPU going bad as well. Fortunately you have a far better now. Tier A according to this Tier list

Solution

Saky94

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

Yeah I've only myself to blame for that. But at least my new psu will be good fo the latest 3070 or 3080. I'll try lowering the clocks and see if it helps. Any idea how much i should lower them?

Saky94

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Till you don't have the artifacts and then a bit more :D
So i did two things, cleaned the pcie connector on the gpu with isopropyl and underclocked the memory. Tested it for 2 days, no freezes anymore. I took the memory back to normal 2 days ago and still no freezes or crashes! Its been working fine for 4 days now. Maybe the connector had some dirt or moisture on it? The cleaning probably fixed it.

So i did two things, cleaned the pcie connector on the gpu with isopropyl and underclocked the memory. Tested it for 2 days, no freezes anymore. I took the memory back to normal 2 days ago and still no freezes or crashes! Its been working fine for 4 days now. Maybe the connector had some dirt or moisture on it? The cleaning probably fixed it.
It is possible yes. Not very, but it is. Lets hope you don't need to redo it and have the GPU perfectly working for a long time.

Reactions: Saky94