Artifacts on my desktop, don't know why.

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
So my problem is that since i tweaked my Arma 3 parameters (set the right cores, checked hyperthreading and added the tbbmalloc). I'm having artifacts on my desktop. First they appeared only when i opened the map in Arma3, but after i exit Arma3 they started to appear on my Chrome browser, now they are a little bit on my desktop and other applications but most of them are visible on Chrome. The strange thing is, that i never have any artifacts in 3D Applications, since Arma3(except the 2D map), Unigine Heaven and Furmark have no artifacts. I found out that most appear when i watch a Youtube videos in Chrome. (https://youtu.be/QxOQYmh6MKs i recorded how it looks) They started to appear after i changed the stuff in Arma, but even after a restart without opening Arma they are still here... I really dont know what to do. I didn't OC my GPU. It could be a driver issue since my Geforce Experience keeps crashing when i open it, i reinstalled my drivers, but nothing changed.

My Specs:
CPU: i7 5820K OC@4.25Ghz
MOBO: Asus x99-A Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 4x4GB @3000Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming @stock
PSU: Corsair RM750W
Monitor: AOC 2369M OC@75Hz (but since I'm able to record the artifacts it shouldn't be caused by the monitor, or not?)

Very strange... Have you made sure that the drivers are the latest ones? I had this issue when I first setup my PC. Had lots of artifacts on Minecraft but a quick update fixed it.

- Sam

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Sorry for the very late answer. I did a clean driver installation, but its still here :(

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Yes, I have the newest version.

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
If I use my PC for a longer time, more artifacts appear. I'm not sure if my GPU is broken, so I did some benchmarks.
22bd7951fc.jpg

0LzZskQ.png

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

No no, as u see, there is AIDA64 Stresstest running in the other window, so I'm on 100% gpu load. Idle I'm on ~36 degrees.

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Is 10min of AIDA64 enough?
3e1cfcc642.png

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

what security features? its just a unlisted youtube video, but here's a screenshot of the video. They only appear for a frame or two.
fac228132c.jpg

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

._. but why would my gpu break just like that... well the problem is occuring on both of my monitors, so its not the cable. Looks like I have to RMA :(

and about the safety features, just hit this button
ba114cbbf5.png
i don't know why my video is being blocked (maybe every unlisted video), but the safety mode only "helps screen out potentially objectionable content that you may prefer not to see or don't want others in your family to stumble across while enjoying YouTube. You can think of this as a parental control setting for YouTube." and why the hell do you use internet explorer?

Because both FF and Google have pissed me off, so f@#$ them. Heh. I get pissed and switch browsers every so often. Call it browsing OCD.

Yeah, you've covered all the possibilities. Drivers, power supply, monitors and monitor cable. It's always possible it's a motherboard issue, but it seems unlikely in this case. The only other thing I could suggest is doing a clean install of the OS. I HAVE seen a similar issue where nothing else resolved the issue and even a new card didn't clear it up but for whatever reason the clean install of the OS took care of it.

You're only having this issue IN GAME, not in non-gaming use right?

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

I'm having this issue everywhere, as long as its 2D.

I'd back up my data, first. Then I'd run Seatools for Windows, just to make sure there are no disk issues possibly wreaking havoc with the normal operation of the OS>

Seatools: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Run an SFC/Scannow to determine if there is possibly a file system issue: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/3047-sfc-scannow-command-run-windows-8-a.html

Maybe download and load a portable version of Linux that will run from disk or USB to see if the issue occurs within that OS, and if it doesn't, reinstall Windows. If it does happen there as well, RMA the card.

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Yeah, I wanted to try the bootable USB Linux too, but I can't find mine >.> i think I've lost it, since i had it in my pocket all the time... I'll make a new one, but since yesterday evening I can't see any artifacting anymore, so maybe it fixed itself somehow?.. I really dont know what the hell is going on. If they appear again, I'll do all the stuff. :) Thanks for the help^^

Jenamd

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

nope, (maybe a windows update, but i dont think so since i didn't restart my pc) I only updated Arma3 lol

There may well have been something in the Arma III code framework that was at the core of the issue. Sometimes a game with issues doesn't necessarily have to be running if one of it's .dll's or another aspect of it's software is bothering the rest of the system somehow.