Question Artifacts While Gaming

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
A co-worker built his first PC about 6 months ago and recently ran into a problem. The story I got was he was playing Sea of Thieves and started to get weird black lines on his screen. Today I gave him a new display port cable today and had him try to update his GPU drivers and it didn't seem to work. He sent me a video after replacing the cable and driver updates. Its not the best quality video but you can see the black and white lines coming from the weapon.

Video of artifacts

All the info I know is he has a RTX 2080 Super, he has reseated the GPU and RAM, reinstalled Windows and replaced the display cable and updated drivers. He said this only seems to happen when gaming but I haven't seen it in person, except this video. All I can think of now is the GPU is bad but I've never had one just go bad for no reason. Is the GPU just straight up dead? Any one know what else this could be? At this point I think he's given up hope and I'm more invested in figuring this out than he is. I hate to see someone come over from console gaming and have something like this happen so I want to do something if possible.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
The only thing I know is it's 1080p . It's a co-worker so I can ask him the rest tomorrow.
He called in "sick" today so I couldn't find out the rest of the info and I have the next 2 weeks off so I won't be seeing him for a while. Still curious though if anyone has had any artifacts like the ones in the original post video or know what could be causing them? I've had a few GPUs for 5+ years and never had an issue with them.