[SOLVED] Artifacts with new GPU

rkeehn547

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
Hello, I have a HP elite 8300 sff and I decided to upgrade the gpu to a 1050 ti from a 1030. Both the cards are low profile, they don’t require any external power and only consume upwards of 75 watts. After I installed the new card, I noticed that I would get artifacts(horizontal lines) when gaming. Sometimes the screen flickers black when loading up games too. When I was gaming yesterday, my whole pc crashed. The screen turned pink and the only thing I could do was manually restart the pc. I have tried everything from updating my gpu drivers, to even reseating the card and making sure that it was seated correctly. I have never had any crashes or artifacts with my previous card. Would I be able to fix this? Thank you

PC specs:

Gigabyte 1050 ti low profile
Intel i5-3470
8gb ddr3 (1333mhz)
240 watt PSU

Solution
-Sold and shipped by Amazon?
Or
-Sold by some random 3rd party seller and shipped by Amazon?
There's a difference.

Could using a program to reinstall the gpu drivers help?
I have doubts - the 2 cards are from the same gpu arch and use the same driver.
You're more than welcome to try regardless:
-Download the driver package for the card from Nvidia.com - do NOT install it yet.
-Download and run Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode. Get it here: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
-Select the Nvidia graphics driver to be uninstalled.
-When finished, click Clean and Restart.
-After you're back in, install the new driver package.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does the old card work without issue if you put it back in?
Is this 1050Ti used?

Just guessing from what's been provided so far:
A)The 1050Ti is damaged.

B)Your motherboard is one of those models that supplies a max of 35w to the PCIe slot. Since the 1050Ti can draw more than that, well... things don't run smoothly.

Reactions: spentshells

rkeehn547

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
Does the old card work without issue if you put it back in?
Is this 1050Ti used?

Just guessing from what's been provided so far:
A)The 1050Ti is damaged.

B)Your motherboard is one of those models that supplies a max of 35w to the PCIe slot. Since the 1050Ti can draw more than that, well... things don't run smoothly.
The card is brand new, I bought it off of Amazon. I know that there are a lot of people that use this gpu in this exact pc and they have no problems with it whatsoever. And yes, the 1030 works completely fine. Could using a program to reinstall the gpu drivers help? Also, I know that the motherboard has two pcie slots, one is black and is a 16x slot, the other is white and is a 1x slot. I think the gpu is in the 1x slot, would switching it to the 16x pcie help?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Sold and shipped by Amazon?
Or
-Sold by some random 3rd party seller and shipped by Amazon?
There's a difference.

Could using a program to reinstall the gpu drivers help?
I have doubts - the 2 cards are from the same gpu arch and use the same driver.
You're more than welcome to try regardless:
-Download the driver package for the card from Nvidia.com - do NOT install it yet.
-Download and run Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode. Get it here: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
-Select the Nvidia graphics driver to be uninstalled.
-When finished, click Clean and Restart.
-After you're back in, install the new driver package.

Solution

rkeehn547

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
Yes, it was sold and shipped by Amazon. Would there be anything else I could troubleshoot? I’ve had the card for a couple months now so I doubt that it could be returned.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermals is the only other thing that comes to mind.
A card like that with no external connectors shouldn't give you much trouble unless there's something wrong with hardware somewhere.

-I suggested the PCIe slot. You said others with the 'same PC' have no trouble with this card.
-Drivers? That one's in progress on your end.
-Gpu is overheating? Shouldn't be an issue unless it's running over 85C under load.