guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
What is the worst you have seen? I recently had issues with my GTS 250 from Sparkle Computer Co. and it blew me away the number and frequency of the artifacts I was getting. It was so amazing that when I showed the screenshot to the tech support guy over the phone I knew exactly when he saw it because i heard him say "Wow."

I just want to know how common this level of artifacting is and who else has had something similar or worse. A curiosity thread, if you will.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr138/guardianangel117/WTF2.png?t=1281475596

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Really? No one wants to share their experiences with artifacts? I honestly want to know how big of an issue it is with the community and how bad the rest of you have had it.

I'm weird like that I guess.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
artifacts are not what we want !! haha. Iv had it happen once, alot wrose than this, the whole screen was flickering black and red !! yet pc didnt crash.
causes,
1. overheating
2. bad or fried vram
3. not enough power
4. faulty gpu on card to start with
5. drivers (rarely)
6. motherboard issue

anything else i missed??

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Man, that sucks. This one got me a free upgrade from sparkle so at least I get something.

Just looking for some perspective on something that has given me a lot of grief.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
i belive artifacts were a common problem with my card (hd2900) as they would get so hot, mine has the 3 heatpipe cooler so not as hot but still damn hot !! 75*c with fan@37%, furmark made it hit 90*c when testing but games dont stress so hard (not even crysis can push it past 78*c).
it was an xfx 8800gs that had flickering black and red artifacts everywhere and it wasnt overclocked. i had a asus 6600gt TOP that glitched even in the bios but heat had screwed the vram after hitting 115*c with a poor designed heatsink.
I wouldnt bother with factory overclocked cards, there life span is shorter and isnt worth an extra 3fps-7fps :s
also had an asus x1950pro that must have died on restart, never artifacted or overheated but refused to post ever again in any pc i tried it in. asus cards are not my cuppa tea lol...good motherboards tho.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I bought an Asus HD5770 that had really poor cooling. The copper surface that contacted with the gfx chip had divots and grooves in it. This card I bought because of the original issues I was having with the GTS 250. I RMA'd through amazon and got a replacement unit that had the same exact problem. I got so frustrated with trying to keep it cool that I just returned it and got my money back.

That was my only experience with asus boards. I respect asus because their laptops and screens of good quality but they sort of let me down.