Arx Fatalis problems with graphics, help needed

I just got my hands on Arx Fatalis, and I've seen that it has got
quite a few good reviews. I installed, applied the patch and started,
but right from the intro I noticed graphics problems. Textures are
missing, most of the screen is black, textures are flickering, I
suppose you can get the idea.

I'm using an FX 5200 and I'm not having any problems with other
games. I also tried to run it without the patch but it still did the
same. I'm using the 71.90 drivers, but I also tried the 71.80 ones.
Anybody has this one running right?

I know my drivers aren't straight from nvidia but I think they're
WHQL certified and all other 3D games run ok.

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> I'm using an FX 5200 and I'm not having any problems with other
> games. I also tried to run it without the patch but it still did the
> same. I'm using the 71.90 drivers, but I also tried the 71.80 ones.
> Anybody has this one running right?
>
> I know my drivers aren't straight from nvidia but I think they're
> WHQL certified and all other 3D games run ok.

I use an FX 5200 as well, and the game worked fine (graphics-wise, at least)
with the 56.64 drivers. I haven't been able to use the later drivers since
this was the last patch release that officially supported the FX 52000
(IIRC), and they nuked S-video output in the subsequent patches.

I seem to recall that some older games might require a downgrade in patches.
61.77 ought to be a good choice for this card, if you don't mind b/w TV
output.

"Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com> wrote on Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:54:57
GMT in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg:

> I seem to recall that some older games might require a downgrade
> in patches. 61.77 ought to be a good choice for this card, if
> you don't mind b/w TV output.

I looked into my backup CD's and found the 61.71 drivers and I
installed them. The problems disappeared. It's a pity I have to put
up with degraded performance in other games to enjoy this one, but
you can't have everything I guess.

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> I looked into my backup CD's and found the 61.71 drivers
> and I installed them. The problems disappeared. It's a pity
> I have to put up with degraded performance in other games
> to enjoy this one, but you can't have everything I guess.

Glad that helped. However, I haven't noticed any performance improvements
with the newer patches. How much have your FPS dropped since you started
using the older patch?

"Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com> wrote on Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:30:03
GMT in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg:

> Glad that helped. However, I haven't noticed any performance
> improvements with the newer patches. How much have your FPS
> dropped since you started using the older patch?

Well I didn't really measure it. Anyway I don't play very graphics-
intensive games at during this period so it doesn't really matter.

I do remember though that in the past I had run some benchamrks
before and after upgrading my drivers and it did give a performance
increase. Small one.