Question As an NBN alternative Optus 5G Home broadband is not ready for Prime-Time

Sep 28, 2020
Sadly, my 3 week long experiment with Optus 5G Home Broadband is at an end...As some of you may be aware, I have been experimenting with the Optus 5G Home Broadband and posting my experience here Despite the 'odd' great download speeds, the stability is lacking Thankfully, I have been schooled on all things internet by some of you, so with the terrible Latency and Jitter, this NBN alternative is not going to be an option for most. I am a simple man, with simple needs. For me, streaming (using Airflow), PS4 gaming and some torrenting, those dramatic download speeds were fleeting. Also be mindful, there is no setting adjustment you can make to effect the Jitter or Latency, you get what you get!
in a day, my various smart home devices drop their connection completely, and my Mac which is less that a meter from my modem (router) will completely lose it's 5G connection and then refuse to reconnect. Be mindful, that the modem is indicating full 5G signal at all times.
If you are interested in this alternative, please visit my other group and see what I experienced. I am moving over to Launtel NBN this week.
check this out ,Hopefully this too will put to rest the suggestion that I work for Optus :)

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Sadly, my 3 week long experiment with Optus 5G Home Broadband is at an end...As some of you may be aware, I have been experimenting with the Optus 5G Home Broadband and posting my experience here Despite the 'odd' great download speeds, the stability is lacking Thankfully, I have been schooled on all things internet by some of you, so with the terrible Latency and Jitter, this NBN alternative is not going to be an option for most. I am a simple man, with simple needs. For me, streaming (using Airflow), PS4 gaming and some torrenting, those dramatic download speeds were fleeting. Also be mindful, there is no setting adjustment you can make to effect the Jitter or Latency, you get what you get!
in a day, my various smart home devices drop their connection completely, and my Mac which is less that a meter from my modem (router) will completely lose it's 5G connection and then refuse to reconnect. Be mindful, that the modem is indicating full 5G signal at all times.
If you are interested in this alternative, please visit my other group and see what I experienced. I am moving over to Launtel NBN this week.
Hopefully, this too will put to rest the suggestion that I work for Optus :)
Since this is your first post ever here, there is no way anybody would be "aware"

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS