News As Companies Back Out, CES Head Blames Chip Shortage, Not Covid

Well, the way he comments on it, it does sound plausible and the Companies are using COVID as a scapegoat.

As always, the truth may be somewhere in the middle. I don't think most of the people involved in actually traveling would feel safe traveling during a second outbreak and having little to nothing to show for it to attendees.

Regards.

Apr 1, 2020
I would say Covid has SOMETHING to do with it. It's a pain in the butt to travel and with Omicron causing a fresh wave of lockdowns and restrictions, there's little reason for companies to invest in sending people there, especially as virtual presentations have come a long way in a very short time for anyone to access from home or work.

Another part may be the chip shortage, but I would also think there's a third part in it that there's not -really- anything revolutionary coming out next year. Phones aren't going to be that much better, 5G is still going to be as limited as it was this year, Zen 4 won't be out until late 2022, next generation video cards won't be out until late 2022 or even 2023 and even then they're going to be horrendously expensive, TVs aren't going to be any different, no new video game consoles next year...it's all just so boring there's nothing to show, in my opinion anyway, compared to having their own launch events online close to when they do release.

Reactions: bigdragon

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
nah just company excuse because they dont have anything new. even alder lake might still need 3-6 months before entering the market as a complete line from lower to the top.
with withdraw they can cut cost.

for example. every our banking customer cut cost really big during covid. their budget reduced to half. kinda insane. our companies need to give a profit margin cut also to keep our business going. no salary raise for 2 years already. sad.

Apr 1, 2020
nah just company excuse because they dont have anything new. even alder lake might still need 3-6 months before entering the market as a complete line from lower to the top.
with withdraw they can cut cost.

for example. every our banking customer cut cost really big during covid. their budget reduced to half. kinda insane. our companies need to give a profit margin cut also to keep our business going. no salary raise for 2 years already. sad.

Well even then DDR5 won't be on the market in mass quantities until late next year according to the manufacturers so there's no rush to get that out.