As predicted the FX-4100 OC's very well

beenthere

Distinguished
The FX-4100 may be the OC CPU of choice for many AMD folks looking for a good value as it's been shown to OC to 4.6 GHz. at the default voltage, with the OEM HSF. The 1000 MHZ. OC results in a 27% increase in performance in Cinebench R 11.5. With a street price of ~$120. this CPU could make many people very happy.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/1/

popatim

Titan
Alright! That speed boost takes it from being an i3 competitor to A8 lvl of prowess.
Yes its a decent deal for $120 but for $20 more I'd take the A8 but only if I had too since its a dead end socket already. For strictly light duty and gaming I could see this being viable.

I would definitely take this over the A8. 4.6ghz, Plus AM3+ gives you pile driver compatability. Plus, who knows, you may be able to unlock some extra cores. For $109 and $60 mobo's? Shoot.

Makes me wish I had waited and not gotten an i3.

Gnomio, if you read the article, you know as much as we do.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

theres a article? Just yesterday I was fighting with a guy over at anandtech over a cheap Amd cpu vs the I3 for gaming. I got power draw reply after reply.

Unlock some cores? You mean unlock some modules and threads?

loneninja

Distinguished
Who cares if the FX overclocks to 4.6Ghz, it's slower than Phenom II and even Athlon II clock for clock. If it's anything like the FX 8150 it's power consumption goes up dramatically as well. The processor should cost no more than $100.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Interesting review. For $210USD you can get an FX-410 and an
ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for $90. About the same price as an I5 2500K.
It certainly doesn't beat a 2500K or an AMD Phenom IIX6 1100T but it comes pretty close.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Except it's not slower - unless you use old code paths and ISAs. Look at the SSE4.1 results. OpenCL results look even better. FMAC is a wrap.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

Not close to the 2500K.......It's about on par with the X4 965

beenthere

Distinguished

Actually you can't get the same performance... which is why people should buy what makes them happy.

As I predicted several weeks ago the FX-4100 is likely to be the FX OC King. They reached 4.6 GHz. with the default voltage and OEM HSF. I'm waiting to see how they do with better cooling and a bump in voltage. ;)

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Now 1920x1200 is the most preferred monitor resolution (next to to 1920x1080). Here's where the CPU starts to matter less and less, and where the GPU gets increasingly more important. The irony is always the same, bang for buck wise a cheapo CPU will get you the better deal. Hence for hefty gaming the graphics card is way more important then the processor.
And at a monitor resolution of 2560x1600 we see that the CPU doesn't really matter that much anymore, the GPUs are completely underpowered here, running at 100%
http://www.guru3d.com/article/crysis-2-dx11-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmarks/6

People and their cpu gaming performances. Go buy a bigger resolution monitor for pete sake

Hmmm.....

I would choose the A8-3850 vs. the FX-4100. Overall, the A8-3850 performs better like in video encoding which is something that I do. Gaming performance is marginally slower than the FX-4100, but gaming is not the only thing I do with a PC.

At least it's cheaper than the Core i3-2120 and it is competitive against it as well. Yay!!!! Who would have thought that a quad core can equal or beat a dual core?

They are called cores. Period.

Oh Cinebench, nice how you cherrypick one bench. Of course the highest clocked quad is going to score higher, duh.

What you fail to understand, is these cpu's are overkill for 95% of users, including gamers who only run a single video card.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

If these cpus are overkill for most people, they can get an i3 or pentium that will use less power.