As someone who hated win8, should I upgrade to win 10 from win 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi everyone, as someone who pretty much hated windows 8 (8.1 was a bit more acceptable, but still very much disliked it) for all the same reason every desktop user hated it (no reason to spam half a page with the same textblock that was stated a hundred times over), would you guys who have used win 10 preview recommend it?

I know I can downgrade again if I dont like it, by making a system image, but that takes a lot of time and I dont feel like not beeing able to use my main rig for 2 days.

I have seen a few youtube talks about it, but I am not sure still. It still looks soooooooooo ugly and the "desktop features" that were brought back seem more like crum thrown to these of us who liked win 7 rather then honest attempts to make up for a very mobile os.

Anyways, I would very much appreciate your oppinion about this, but guys please no one-liners to get your comment count up etc. I am actually interested in proper arguments. (I am sorry I have to say something like that, seems so ungrateful, but lately it seems there are a lot of people just writing a one sentence answer and are not even reading the op etc.)

Also, if there is a proper discussion like this somewhere else, either as a forum conversation or a journal article, I would be very interested in reading it.

Cheers.

Solution
There is another option....

All you have to do is partition your current drive and when Windows 10 becomes available just put it on the second partition... then you'll have a Dual Boot Option... and can switch back and forth at will.

drixkarasu

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Windows 10 feels more like a desktop OS than 8.1 (I like 8.1 though, I simply learned to ignore the modern UI) and it sure is way better than Windows 8.
Some of its new features like virtual desktops make it much better than Windows 7, so I think it's worth upgrading to, but I would recommend waiting until the final release since the preview still has some annoying bugs.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
thanks for the answers. I would still like to hear from more people, sort of like a poll :). I am still so unsure about it, windows 8 broke my trust with microsoft soo much, to the point I strongly considered switching to linux (as a gamer :)).

Anyways, do appreciate all desktop users oppinions.

Cheers.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
There is another option....

All you have to do is partition your current drive and when Windows 10 becomes available just put it on the second partition... then you'll have a Dual Boot Option... and can switch back and forth at will.

Solution

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012

That seems intersting. I thought the free update would automatically update on the partition you had windows 7 installed. Are you sure you can upgrade to dual boot? Cause that would be very handy for testing windows 10.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Yes... I'm sure... here is how I plan on doing it... I already have a partition created for Windows 10.. What I will do is install Windows 7 on the second partition.. then I will temporarily have a dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 7.. Then I'll upgrade that second Windows 7 partition to Windows 10... then I'll have a Windows 7 and Windows 10 in Dual Boot... simple..

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012

Seems like a good choice, but, can you also do a dual install with an oem windows7? Technically you are only supposed to install it once, so will the key etc work twice?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Install it on the same computer... same motherboard... same drive... dual booting oem copies of Windows is OK...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

I've never seen or heard anything about that... besides, what if someone installs Windows 10 and decides they didn't like like... I'm sure they would be able to downgrade it. Do you have a source or link that has Microsoft saying that?

USAFRet

Titan

All of the verbiage from MS and elsewhere speaks of an "Upgrade", not a free second OS. Much like the upgrade from Win 8 to 8.1. You got a whole new license key, but your couldn't continue using the Win 8 license.

Or back further...Vista to Win 7. If you bought a cheaper 'Upgrade' license to upgrade your Vista to 7, you couldn't continue using that original Vista.
This is the same, just free instead of cheap.

Think of this as upgrading to Win 8.2.

I'm looking for specific text that outlines this, but I would be VERY surprised if you could continue to use both OS's.
I could be wrong, though.

Dansaj

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

Wait i also have win7 , so does that when i upgrade it . I will keep all my stuff ? and will i be able to play games like bf4 ?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

I checked around too... and NO WHERE does it say you must give up your old O/S... plus many people may not like Windows 10 and want to revert back to Windows 7... so what you said does not make any sense and I believe I'm still correct... I'm sure others will want to Dual Boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 .. Furthermore, when Windows Media Center first came out it was on my HP Computer... then a year later Microsoft came out with a new version of XP with Media Center with a new Serial... I got that free and got to keep my old version... so they've done that before... so I believe your info is incorrect..

USAFRet

Titan

And I see no text whereby it specifically says you DO get to keep the old OS...;)

So we're both casting about with no clear info either way.

USAFRet

Titan
So, here is one partial answer:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-81-fppretail-owner-if-i-upgrade-to-w10/090bce47-090d-445c-8d9a-89c054d768a2
"When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from an OEM base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry this type of licensing too."

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks all for the answers, sorry I didnt write untill now, I was away.

Anyways, many interesting points and discussions, but if it is to be believed that I will loose my win 7 with an upgrade, then I will have to consider it VERY strongly. So if anyone knows more about it, do please write :).

Especially regarding a system recovery. Since I can do a system image recovery on a completly new HDD even without an internet connection, so long as the motherboard is the same, what would happen if I just upgraded and made a system restore? Would I upon reconnecting to the internet nulify my license? That seems like a very silly business decision, (though since they made win8 I would not be surpirsed :D) since from what I understood win10 was meant to restore some of the confidence of the consumers, hence the free upgrade. But if they tell me that if I try it out and dont like it, I loose my previous version permanently, ... well that seems rather counter to the whole thing..

EDIT:Also, I have already reserved win 10, should I unreserve it? Or Can I still wait for several months with the reservation, without voiding the free upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan

The ability of going back to your previous version has not been fully addressed or specified.

For the 'reservation'...all that is is to potentially download the install files, once it is actually released. You do not have to install it right then. Just as long as you install/upgrade before July 2016.

Let us wait and see what further details emanate from the mouth of Microsoft.

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
If dual boot is not possible with a single license (for 7 and 10). Alternatively I'm sure you can install win 7 on the second drive/partition and immediately upgrade to 10 for the trial period without keying in License. It's not really a trial but Windows usually allows i believe 3 days before the product keys deadline time hits. I'm in the same boat, want to try out 10 but hated 8 hence too cautious to lose 7

Btw, OP, are you certain the system image will work? I still cant find any confirmation whether MS will allow reverting back to Win 7 once the license is keyed up with Win 10. Ideally it should work and should MS employ such a restrictive measure, it will cause outrage. I keep hearing Win 10 will be faster, fast load up and shut down times. Hence really looking forward to trying it out, but if MS restricts Licenses to work on previous versions, then screw it, I WILL NOT TOUCH 10

They should allow free trial periods for all legit Win 7 and 8 users, or a very easy ''restore'' option to revert back to previous versions.

(hope someone can tell me otherwise!)

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Sry I thought the topic closed and was noch checking back. Hence why the late answer.
Anyway,
@saas1980 No I am not sure that the system image will work. BUT, since the system image does work offline, i.e. you can make the image while you are offline, and then put in a new hdd in your PC and recover on that device, still without needing to go online and it will recover without problem (so long as you only switch the HDD, swaping the mobo is a bit of a nono). Hence there is no way that it will not work, at least while you remain offline.

I am not sure what will happen once you go online again, if your lisence will expire. Its unlikely I think, but I dont know at all. Technically, once you are online again, MS can check if your lisence is expired and deactivate it.

What I can say is this, maybe, maybe, you can upgarde to 10 while remaining offline, i.e. you predownload it, and then pull ou tthe network cable and upgrade. IF! it works, then you could have a small trial period and if you didn't like you could revert back.
Since the upgrade was offline, MS should not be able to know, unless they have some very fishy ways to detect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.