News Asetek halts revenue guidance as large customers cancel orders

This is what happens when you're so litigious that you become known widely for just that. They didn't start improving their products until companies started moving away from them and they had their primary patent invalidated outside the US.

CoolIT is the name I keep seeing with regards to enterprise level cooling (they're in all the modern Cray systems). So I'd assume that's their big competitor in this field and I can't imagine it's easy to gain ground here without offering a much superior product.

tcg101

Prominent
Dec 20, 2022
This is what happens when you're so litigious that you become known widely for just that. They didn't start improving their products until companies started moving away from them and they had their primary patent invalidated outside the US.

CoolIT is the name I keep seeing with regards to enterprise level cooling (they're in all the modern Cray systems). So I'd assume that's their big competitor in this field and I can't imagine it's easy to gain ground here without offering a much superior product.
Or comparable, but priced lower.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Asetek had a first mover advantage, which I feel they have squandered off making small changes to their main product gen on gen, and mainly focusing on making sure they have no competition through litigation. With only 1 key product, it is a matter of time before competitors become good enough to put the firm into financial trouble.

Allen_B

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
What amazes me is that they knew what was coming and had time to improve. Guess they chose not to. I wonder if they’ve been plundered by senior management who won’t care what happens later as long as they’re well taken care of.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
Alphacool also got into the enterprise cooling market pretty early on, and thrived off providing custom solutions before they began providing expandable AIOs as design standardization set in. And they also were one of the first to wedge themselves into Asetek's consumer space with expandable AIOs too, even if they never were OEM for other AIO sellers.

But I do miss CoolIT in the consumer space; their old AIOs for Corsair were superior to the later Asetek versions, and their novel AIO with a TEC unit helped keep an AM3 Bulldozer cool enough.

Reactions: thestryker

Latest posts