Asetek Sues CoolIt Over Liquid Cooling Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Those main claims seem too basic for me. Talk about specs and bluesheets and thats the real engineering.

Asetek, the Apple of cooling

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
with the main claim containing 15 individual claims:

- an integrated element including a heat exchanging interface
- a reservoir
- a pump, wherein the reservoir is configured to receive a cooling liquid from outside the reservoir through an inlet and pass the cooling liquid to the outside through an outlet
- the reservoir including an upper chamber and a lower chamber
- the upper chamber and the lower chamber being vertically displaced chambers that are separated from each other by at least a horizontal wall and fluidly coupled together by a plurality of substantially circular passages
- at least one of the plurality of substantially circular passages being positioned on the horizontal wall
- a boundary wall of the lower chamber being formed by the heat exchanging interface
- the heat exchanging interface is adapted to provide separable thermal contact between the processing unit and the cooling liquid such that heat is dissipated from the processing unit to the cooling liquid as the cooling liquid passes through the lower chamber of the reservoir
- the pump is adapted to direct the cooling liquid through the upper chamber and the lower chamber of the reservoir
- the pump including a motor having a rotor, a stator and an impeller having a plurality of curved blades
- the impeller being positioned within the reservoir
- a heat radiator spaced apart from the integrated element
- the heat radiator being fluidly coupled to the outlet and the inlet of the reservoir
- the heat radiator being configured to circulate the cooling liquid therethrough and exhaust heat from the cooling liquid
- a fan configured to direct air through the heat radiator, the fan being driven by a motor separate from the motor of the pump."

So basically, they patented liquid cooling..?
Are they going to sue car manufacturers too?

tivatar

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Some military aircraft have been using this basic technology since the mid 1970's to cool avionics equipment... albeit slightly larger and more robust (expensive).

Source is experience... been fixing the damned things for years.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tivatar[/nom]Some military aircraft have been using this basic technology since the mid 1970's to cool avionics equipment... albeit slightly larger and more robust (expensive).Source is experience... been fixing the damned things for years.[/citation]

Guess that means they'll be suing the navy next.

spidey81

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Didn't apple provide "maintenance free" liquid cooling systems in their PowerMac G5's? Surprised that they didn't patent it or, if they had, already sued Asetek. We all know that Apple likes to sue! Probably not enough money in the "cooler" sector to make a big fuss over it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
this is an engineering patent, so i will give it a benefit of the doubt here, i want to see the blue print and the exact way that they stated everything because it seams like its to simplified to just be that easy.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
[citation][nom]tivatar[/nom]Some military aircraft have been using this basic technology since the mid 1970's to cool avionics equipment... albeit slightly larger and more robust (expensive).Source is experience... been fixing the damned things for years.[/citation]
well friend sue them!!! i hope that people of the world band together and just boycott every stupid company who start bothering with the damn patents! i just want a world where if you sue someone because you patented breathing then you just killed your company because none one will ever buy anything from you

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
dude you can understand liquid cooling by reading a heat transfer book + another book about heat exchangers(and you don't need to study all chapters) I study fluid mechanics and liquid cooling is not that of a big deal its like patenting making a natural refrigerator using a mud pot, you cant patent raw science FFS, patenting is for inventions!!!!

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Come on, it's just a modified version of what you find in every car these days.[/citation]
Only 'these days'?

Hot-water heating using radiators (or 'pigs') has been around for over 150 years.

In cars, radiator cooling has been around for 40+ years.

It really rubs me the wrong way when companies patent 100+ years old ideas as new. Today's closed water loop CPU coolers are nothing more than miniature versions of the 150 years old central furnace + room radiator combination.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
this is just disgusting ....
and todays multiple choice quize starts with !!!

1. when a patent like this flies by the patent office and they grant it YOU KNOW THE PATENT OFFICE IS ...

A) on crack

B) Broke as s---

C) retarded

D) Worthless

E) All of the above

I think most every one here can get the answer right on this one

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Keep in mind that the patent offices are run by people who are not scientist or engineers or historians so all you need to do is find something that has been done for years, then in a patent describe it in a way that the average person who knows what it is, would not think to describe it, then it is likely to make it through, then after that, you can sue people for violating it.

Just like apple suing people for violating patents for crap like bounce back (which were actually done in old game boy games to give scrolling text a more cartoon look. It was also done in windows, pocket PC 2000 OS, and pinch to zoom was done is pretty much all old movies when people were shown interacting with a computer or machine navigating an environment in 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.