Ask Me Anything - Official Qualcomm Representatives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Evidently my first question didn't get much love, though I have another one:

As the ever increasing demand for mobile broadband bandwidth increases for consumers on portable devices, what innovations is Qualcomm looking toward in order to continue to increase mobile device bandwidth on it's current astronomical trajectory toward massive amounts of data transfer?

Additionally, in regards to the venture into windows phone compatible hardware, was that hardware actually x86 CISC hardware, or was the software adapted to run on ARM architecture? Do you see yourselves entering into competitive x86-64 space in the future?

SNA3

Honorable
Hi,

I understand that your Snapdragon 800 works at 5Watt TDP ? I read some where (correct me if I am wrong , and please put the TDP specs in your site:)

the point here is , this Chip is 2.3 GHz Quad-core Krait 400 , and my Question is , why dont you release which each Generation a minimum clock of the cpu possible ? with the lowest TDP possible ?

if this thing runs at 5Watts , then a 800mhz quad core should work well below 2 watts?

I guess android does not need more than 800mhz in quad cores if the programmers optimize it for 4 cores. and more over this woud give us double the battery life and less heat ?

pleae make such a thing happen , I hate the warm phone , and I want a small 4 ich phone with 24 hours usage !

you should allways make a low voltage lower frequency model of your CPU ... If I want 2.2ghz Quad I would buy a tablet to take advantage of the 4 cores. and for gaming and etc.

but for a phone ? give me COLD phone with 24 hours usage.

and a second thing ...

2- is it possible by today standard to make a chip that can be powered by solar cells only ? and at what frequencey and how many cores?

third ,

3- Can you please invade the Desktop market :) we have windows 8 RT now , and I want to see ARM replace X86 .. and for missing power , make multi CPU Sockets motherboards ... like 4/2 ARM chips per motherboard ... 16 cores at 2.3 ghz :)

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
One advantage of many newer phones with Qualcomm chipsets is the integration of the radios, keeping all the essential electronics small (28nm) and close to each other. Are all current (S4 Pro, 600, 800) Snapdragons like this or do some have separate, non-integrated radio's. From some of the information I've seen it looks like some of the phones do not have the radio's integrated. If the radio's are not integrated, do they at least use a seperate Qualcomm 28nm radio so it's still low power?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Some more from the hive-mind that is our social media channels:

Would you be able to share with us the process on how the Snapdragon SoCs are selected by OEMs for their smartphones and tablets? Is it a competitive process where the best chip wins?

I caught the DTS theatre demo at CES this year. It was certainly impressive, but I don't see myself using my tablet as the centre of my entertainment system. What else has to change about the industry before a high-end SoC is viewed as a viable replacement for a home theatre setup?

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

I think this makes a lot of sense. I hook up my Maxx HD to the TV using MicroHDMI (which I think all Android devices should have). This would allow high-def video and multi-channel audio. Also, I have a cordless USB mouse I use via a MicroUSB adapter to control it when connected. While this may not be as practical with a phone I can see someone doing this with an Android tablet to watch video and other content on a regular basis. Especially if they have a tablet with an HDMI dock that provides power too. I'm really not sure anything would have to change my dual core 1.5GHz S4 Plus handles media very well and the Snapdragon 800 does 4k. I don't think my Maxx HD supports more than two channels but I wouldn't be surprised if the chipset itself is capable of that.

Michelle Leyden Li

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Our Krait 400 is our latest custom-built CPU architecture that can be clocked up to 2.3GHz and fabricated on a 28nm Hpm process node. Our strategy encompasses the CPU but we also innovate on the other 80-85% of technology content that is critical to delivering great mobile experiences. Only Qualcomm technologies, Inc. purpose builds our own GPUs, DSPs, multimode modems, connectivity and CPUs and integrates them into balanced, high-performance, low-power systems.

Michelle Leyden Li

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Vellamo includes industry and reviewer (Tom's hardware included)-recognized benchmarks in it's results. Tests are device and processor neutral. Please check out the full list here.

We work closely with all our partners on both hardware and software design and testing. OEMs can take advantage of the featured available on Qualcomm Snapdragon processors to optimize and customize their products.

Michelle Leyden Li

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Here's some background from the source directly for your second question around Windows Phone compatible hardware. We'll hold comment on your last question.

Peter Carson

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Qualcomm modems support the latest communication technologies, including the latest advancements in LTE. With the introduction of Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, Qualcomm is shipping its 3rd generation LTE modem and was first to launch LTE Advanced with Carrier Aggregation (CA), a key feature that effectively doubles data rates for typical LTE users up to a peak data rate of 150 Mbps. Technologies like CA and other LTE-A features such at heterogeneous networks will help bring the LTE experience to the next level.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Thanks for the response, what about my bandwidth question? I am sure you guys are cooking up some crazy data transfer technology...is there anything forthcoming?

EDIT: Scooped!! Thanks Peter for the answer!!

Peter Carson

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Our second and third generation LTE modems (radios) that are part of our integrated Qualcomm Snapdragon processors, such as the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 and 800, or used in connection with discrete Qualcomm Snapdragon processors like the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro or the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600, are all 28nm modems and have all the latest power optimizations available.

Michelle Leyden Li

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Today, there are more than 850 Snapdragon devices announced/commercially available and more than 475 Snapdragon designs in development. Of the more than 475 Snapdragon-based designs in development, 200+ designs in development are using Snapdragon 600/800 processors. There also are a number of leading Snapdragon 600 based devices, such as the HTC One and LG Optimus G Pro, available today. As mentioned earlier, the first Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 device has already launched in Korea with Samsung. You will start to see more Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 devices this summer. LG and Sony have recently announced devices based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processors, so keep an eye out for those.

Keep in mind, that we have a wide range of processors for different price points and experiences that are meant to address different market segments, including low, mid and high-tier devices. For example, we are continuing to see new devices based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processors, such at the Nokia Lumia 1020.

Michelle Leyden Li

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

We won't comment on the OEM selection process, as that is determined by each OEM.

The theater demo shows not only the capabilities of the theater use-case but also the experience you can get from your mobile device and taking that theater-quality audio with you wherever you go on your device.

Michelle Leyden Li

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Qualcomm Snapdragon processors leverage our Asynchronous Multi-Processing (aSMP) design. Select a task and one the four cores will snap into action. Each core can throttle up and down depending on the task. The result is increased battery efficiency and a whole lot of performance. Check out this video explaining how aSMP works.

Michelle Leyden Li

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

The Krait 400 is clocked “up to 2.3GHz.” That does not mean it is fixed at the max frequency. Qualcomm Snapdragon processors leverage our Asynchronous Multi-Processing (aSMP) design. Select a task and one the four cores will snap into action. Each core can throttle up and down depending on the task. The result is increased battery efficiency and a whole lot of performance. Check out this video explaining how aSMP works. This is one of the ways Snapdragon phones are designed to remain cool, check out.

I cannot comment about solar cells, but we can power phones with bugs. :)

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

ok another Question , if you can charge by bugs , can you charge by human movement ? it is more than bugs power :) .oh and chargning is another thing , you chargre the battery , not run ahe device .. I asked about powering the device using solar cells.

Charging the battery is powering the device - if you're charging the battery faster than the device is discharging it, battery level is constant/increasing.

Or does your wall charger not power your phone?

Huh? If you mean Android, that's where they likely get most of their revenue.

The version of the S4 sold in the US has a Qualcomm chip, as does the HTC One.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there all!

As it is now been 24 hours, the "official" AMA is concluded!

Epic thanks to the Qualcomm representatives who took the time out of their schedules to come and answer all the great questions our community had for them. We know this was a lot of work on their end, and we're greatly appreciative of the time taken to engage with the community here at Tom's Hardware. :)

For answering so many questions, an epic thanks goes out to Peter Carson, Dan Novak and Michelle Leyden Li for the quick responses. Also, last but not least, a mega-thanks to Yelena Durmashkin at Qualcomm for helping to put this together on their end and securing the time and info required to make this happen.

As a heads-up, stay tuned to news and articles for the announcement of our next AMA which will be coming next week on Wednesday! We're on a roll with these!

Thanks again to all for making this a great success!

-JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS