Question ASMedia 106X SATA message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2020
I built an ASUS TUF Gaming X570 plus. At first when I started it it would go directly to the BIOS/UEFI and then to Windows. After attempting to get a PCI SATA card to work (and failing) it now gives the message:

Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Ver 4.27 AHCI Mode
Copyright © Asmedia Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Using PCIE Gen 2
Can't find any device

before going to the bios. When the BIOS prevents the MB from seeing the boot NVME drive it goes straight to the BIOS without the message so I have concluded that this message has something to do with Windows 10. My research indicates that Asmedia is NOT the firmware on the chipset used to access the PCI slots on this board and this message has something to do with Windows. The boot log shows these 2 entries
Memory Address 0xEFD00000-0xEFD001FF Asmedia 106x SATA Controller
Memory Address 0xEFD00000-0xEFD001FF Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #2 - 8C12
and
IRQ 17 High Definition Audio Controller
IRQ 17 Asmedia 106x SATA Controller
I assume, please advise, that Winload.exe has a command in it that commences this failure. I can not figure out how to edit Winload.exe like in the good old days when there was a batch file you could edit with a text editor. I admit I want to eliminate this message only because it is annoying and takes an additional 7 seconds for my machine to boot but it has become an obsession.

The controller card no longer shows up in the device manager and "Asmedia 106x SATA Controller" no longer show up in Apps and Programs after I deleted it which did not remedy the situation. Is it possible to edit the Winload.exe file? Or some other remedy. Thanks.

Mar 29, 2020
Thank you for your contribution. It was an add on card. I have reset to defaults in the bios which did not solve it. I also turned off the power supply and unplugged it and removed the CMOS battery which did not reset the bios for some strange reason. I am 99% sure that it is not about the BIOS. When the MB can't see the boot NVME card because a setting about complimentary stuff in the bios does not allow it then the message does not appear. From this I conclude that it is not firmware for the chipset on the MB but something it sees on the boot drive. Also, it never displayed this message before I "updated" the drivers for the PCIE add on eSATA card. I want to edit the winload file that refers to this ASMEDIA controller. I have deleted all references to it in the registry.

Mar 29, 2020
So I removed the ASmedia eSATA PCIE add-on card and the message no longer comes up. I conclude that when the UEFI (BIOS) was checking the hardware it saw the card and decided to go find a driver for it and failed in the attempt. Possibly the card provided the message that showed before the UEFI logo came up. Anyway happy ending even though I can't use eSATA on Windows 10 with this card.

Status
Not open for further replies.