vinodjames

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I am downgrading my windows 7 to xp but it gives me error "The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed" error message when you install Windows XP. i am not able to finish the installtion plss help me out

Solution
Never loose hope. Bill Gates used to say "It's all possible with software."

If you did install Win7 you can look up the device ID numbers in device manager and see who made the device and get drivers directly. It's a minor pain, but often successful. Some other company that does support Win 7 may be using the same pieces in their product and their driver would work. Something to think about.

If you actually think you'll do this someday, get all the device ID's while it is running a good OS so you can avoid the "unknown device" stigma later.

vinodjames

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

I think you are right but then I decided to keep that laptop at its original condition. Actually I have one laptop Sony VGN-CR35G with preinstall Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit wanted to be upgraded in windows 7 ultimate 32 bit because having as usual so many issues with vista. But not able to find driver for this version of Sony PC they said we are not going to support this :( Was not able to downgrade also because of this "ASMS Fatal Error" Then finally i restore it with its previous settings of windows vista. in future if Sony provide driver for this version of laptop i would like to upgrade this for Windows 7. any way thanks for your reply. :)

Never loose hope. Bill Gates used to say "It's all possible with software."

If you did install Win7 you can look up the device ID numbers in device manager and see who made the device and get drivers directly. It's a minor pain, but often successful. Some other company that does support Win 7 may be using the same pieces in their product and their driver would work. Something to think about.

If you actually think you'll do this someday, get all the device ID's while it is running a good OS so you can avoid the "unknown device" stigma later.

Solution