Sep 7, 2020
I’ve been doing some upgrades to my Tc-705 desktop computer and made one recent upgrade and one possible (depending on importance) upgrade.
One upgrade I did was boot up my graphics card to nvidia gtx 1650, which fits perfectly with my motherboard and have no issues with its ability to work. However, I notice some other people has gpu’s that are lower but have a possibility to not work because of power. Am I just lucky that my computer is able to handle my graphics card or is my graphics card highly compatible with my computer?
The other question is is it worth upgrading my cpu from i5 4460 to i7 4790? Based on userbenchmar.com, it makes little difference but I would like to know

my setup is:
Aspire TC-705
gtx1650
16gb ram
Samsung 860 evo 500gb SSD
2TB hardrive

Solution
The GTX 1650, much like all of the lower end GTX cards, 1050, 950, 750, etc., are DESIGNED to be used with low end, low powered OEM type systems that are only able to supply slot power without requiring a different power supply. So no, you are not just "lucky", it's pretty standard.

As far as upgrading from the 4460 to the 4790, that depends on two things.

One, whether or not the type of games/titles you play are primarily single core dependent or whether they are games optimized to benefit from more than four cores?

Two, whether or not you are multitasking, running browser tabs, recording or performing other tasks WHILE you are gaming?

Three, whether the 4790 is even supported by the BIOS on the motherboard you have? Seems that...
The GTX 1650, much like all of the lower end GTX cards, 1050, 950, 750, etc., are DESIGNED to be used with low end, low powered OEM type systems that are only able to supply slot power without requiring a different power supply. So no, you are not just "lucky", it's pretty standard.

As far as upgrading from the 4460 to the 4790, that depends on two things.

One, whether or not the type of games/titles you play are primarily single core dependent or whether they are games optimized to benefit from more than four cores?

Two, whether or not you are multitasking, running browser tabs, recording or performing other tasks WHILE you are gaming?

Three, whether the 4790 is even supported by the BIOS on the motherboard you have? Seems that actually your TC-705 was supposed to have COME with a 4790, so it's possible, maybe even PROBABLE that at some point somebody swapped that 4460 for the 4790 and moved the 4790 to a different system.

Four, the COST of the 4790. If you can't get one for less than 100 bucks, then you would be MUCH better off saving the money to put towards a newer platform. And to be honest, you'd be a lot better off doing so anyhow, because you'd see a bigger gain from it in the long run and it wouldn't cost you THAT much more. How feasible that is depends on whether your case, motherboard and power supply are a standard form factor but it looks to me like it is a DTX form factor which is not going to be easily upgraded with a standard ATX or microATX form factor motherboard or power supply if you were to decide to do that at some point. That means that when the time comes, expect to need to not just replace the motherboard, CPU and memory, but also the case and power supply as well.

Fact is, most OEM systems aren't good candidates for platform upgrades in most cases because a lot of them ARE proprietary, and are incompatible with most standard aftermarket hardware aside from easily swapped out things like memory, storage drives and graphics cards.

Solution