Question Asrock 570 Creator - Anyone running ram @ 3800 MHz?

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I need a 3950X compatible board, but I also need Thunderbolt. That means either the Asrock or the Giga, and the latter is a mess, so...

The required ram speed is 3600 - 3800, depending on how fast your cpu's Fclk will go. - But I'm reading many MANY reports that users can't get their ram past 3333 MHz even with manual calculation & tuning. - And that's with 3800 rated B Die ram sticks. I called Asrock tech, and they could not tell me a single series of ram that they guarantee to run at even 3600, despite having dozens on their QVL list. So I searched the internet, and found the TOMS review of this mobo from last fall. It says they were able to run DDR4 at 3800 Mhz.
Was that incorrect? Did they run 3800-rated ram but not at the oc speed?
----------------------------------------------
Has anyone reading this gotten ram stable at these speeds? If so, PLEASE tell me what ram you used. (And if possible, what timings and voltage.)
THX.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram speed is dependent on the cpu, not the mobo. With 3rd gen, you can push that upto 4400MHz. But you really don't want to go past 3600 unless you want to get into some serious tinkering.

The issue is the infinity fabric. Normally it runs a 1:1 ratio with the ram, so with 3600 IF will be running at 1800MHz. The IF is capped at 3733MHz, after which it drops to a 1:2 ratio, so 3800 actually runs at 950MHz. It'll take some tinkering to get around that and get back upto the 1900 it should be.

Of course ASR evaded a guarantee, they can't guarantee anything when it involves OC. They can only say that the sticks they used actually got those speeds, not that any other sticks, even identical ones, will. And the QVL is about useless as a source of info anyway as it's a few random sticks or prototypes they've got on hand.

Your best bet is something like gskill 3600/16 Trident-Z Neo's, specifically tested by gskill for Ryzen compatability or any of the regular Trident-Z's with model codes GTZRX.

Alternatively, you could always use a TB-pcie add-in card, instead of using a native hookup and avoid the need to use ASR if you don't want that particular board.

Last edited:

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Ram speed is dependent on the cpu, not the mobo.

No, maximum speed is dependant on the mobo. What works best for your system is dependent on the cpu.

"Of course ASR evaded a guarantee, they can't guarantee anything when it involves OC. They can only say that the sticks they used actually got those speeds"

No, they're not even saying THAT. Read my post.

I haven't found a single report, anywhere, of a user getting past 3333 MHz on the board, which means it will cripple the performance of a 3950X.

"our best bet is something like gskill 3600/16 Trident-Z Neo's, specifically tested by gskill for Ryzen compatability or any of the regular Trident-Z's with model codes GTZRX."

And again, these don't go past 3333 MHZ, even with manual tuning. Nor do the 3800 Mhz ones, which are B Die and twice the price. The problem is with the mobo.

Sigh .....

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How many videos have you seen/heard of posted by people with an aio that has not leaked in 3 years+? None. How many have you seen about aio leaks? Plenty. The Creators is a very high end mobo so is limited in its use, most opting for the cheaper Taichi and even then, you won't see many, if any, posts regarding people using a 3rd gen Ryzen successfully getting 3600 or better, because it's assumed they will. But if some have issues not getting past 3333MHz, better believe they'll be posting as to why.

As to why, that's a Ryzen thing, again related to infinity fabric. IF just does not like using all 4 slots for an X570 and really doesn't like all 8 slots on the TRX40, so ends up dropping ram speeds.

Since every post I've seen on the Creators board hasn't stated if it's the X570 Creators or the TRX40 Creators, (which usually ends up at 2133MHz when fully populated) its hard to say what's what, but you can assume that without severe tinkering, Any X570 with all 4 slots populated will respond equitably. It's not just the Creators that gets stuck at 3200MHz with single rank B-die.

The 3600/3800 rating is for only 2 sticks, not 4. Only way you'll see 4x sticks (or more) at 3800 is with Intel.

It's not the mobo. It's the cpu. People running that high end audio/content creation etc aren't using 2x8Gb for ram, they use 4x16Gb or 4x32Gb.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Told you already, it's not the board, it's the Ryzen cpu. 2x sticks will get full rated xmp or even some OC. 4x sticks and you'll be lucky to see 2933, severe tinkering with timings might get you to 3200. The pic posted above is from ASRock directly, look it up. For the TRX40 Creators with all 8 sticks, 2133MHz is as good as it gets. It's an Infinity Fabric limitation in the cpu.

AMD’s officially-supported DRAM configurations are below for your reference:

DDR4
Speed : Ranks : DIMM
2666 : Single : 2
2400 : Dual : 2
2133 : Single : 4
1866 : Dual : 4

You have to decouple the infinity fabric from the ram and crank it manually, you'll get @ 1800-1900MHz if you are lucky, more likely it'll be around 1600MHz for the 4 sticks. Then you should be able to get 1900MHz on the ram data rate. Don't forget to set the ratio to 1:1, anything above 3733MHz on a Ryzen runs 2:1 ratio.

But that's on you to do manually. You won't find that in any auto settings.

Last edited:

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Dude, PLEASE FRICKING STOP.

There are reports all over the various forums with users unable to get past 3333 MHz. Yet a lucky few have gotten 3600 (and not with B Die, surprisingly) No one has reported 3800, even though that's easily obtainable on several other high-end 570 mobos.

It's a problem with the motherboard.

GO AWAY NOW. thank you.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Dude, PLEASE FRICKING STOP.

There are reports all over the various forums with users unable to get past 3333 MHz. Yet a lucky few have gotten 3600 (and not with B Die, surprisingly) No one has reported 3800, even though that's easily obtainable on several other high-end 570 mobos.

It's a problem with the motherboard.

GO AWAY NOW. thank you.

Let me be VERY CLEAR here. Respect in this forum is compulsory. You may not like or agree with his answer , but YOU WILL treat him or anyone else answering you with respect. Otherwise you will not be obtaining any answers here. This is your only warning, Got it?

Reactions: DMAN999
That is not how we respond to members who are trying to help you, and are telling you CORRECTLY to boot. Personally it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you just took that attitude elsewhere since you seem to think you know something more than the people you are asking.

For what it's worth, AMD themselves says you are not going to get those speeds using four DIMMs, so whatever it is you THINK you know, you don't, and are wrong anyhow. So let's keep it civil. This is not your home, your hood or your stomping grounds. This is OUR forum, and we expect visitors to treat members that are trying to help them with respect. If you can't do that, then just go elsewhere. Plain enough for you?

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Running the memory at higher than 3600mhz is pointless on this platform anyhow. It's a waste of time, effort and money, because you will end up with the same or WORSE performance than you would have at 3600mhz.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

And that's also not completely true. It might apply to single-core gamers, but there have been several tests / benchmarks on this with all-core DAW use. Also video rendering. Even TOMS said that the gains from going past 1800 on the FClk outweigh the losses from the double timing. (I may have the terminology wrong.)

- And regardless, here come the XT chips, with supposedly a 2,000 FClk out of the box.
I'm looking to build a couple of 3900XT rigs, and still need TB3, so am still considering the 570 Creator. - But the ram issue has me completely stymied.

How about Asrock, instead of hiding under that rock, get's off their "as" as fixes this problem? Unless there's a power-delivery limitation (which is unlikely, given the quality of this board) then it's just a BIOS issue.