Asrock 945G-DVI does not recognise OCZ 1Gb memory?

Jarh

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Hi,

OK, I've just bought:
Asrock 945G-DVI motherboard
1x1Gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 Value Series memory module
E6300 CPU

The Asrock website says that the motherboard supports DDRII 667/533 memory and so it should be compatible with the OCZ memory module. However, with the OCZ memory installed the motherboard does seem to recognise the memory and does not boot at all (nothing displayed, no beeps but fans do start up).

If I test the OCZ memory in another PC which uses the 915G chipset the memory module works fine.

If I test the motherboard with a 1x512Mb DDR2-400 Samsung memory module the motherboard works fine.

Anyone know why the 1Gb OCZ memory module does not work with the Asrock motherboard? Is anyone using 1Gb memory modules in this motherboard - if so, what make/type?

As far as I can see the differences between the memory modules are:

OCZ memory:
1Gb
DDR2-667
Double sided
Rank=2

Samsung memory:
512Mb
DDR2-400
Single sided
Rank=1

(I've asked for clarification from Asrock and OCZ but so far no reply)

Thanks in advance.

Mondoman

Splendid
DDR2 is a very new technology that isn't fully standardized yet. Looks like there is an incompatibility between your RAM and MB. Often, minor modifications to the SPD programming and/or DIMM will fix this, so I would pursue OCZ to get RMA replacement.

Jarh

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Replaced the OCZ value series DIMM with a Kingston value RAM DIMM with the same specifications (DDR2 667 CL5). The Kingston module works fine.

I never discovered exactly why the OCZ would not work in the 945G-DVI mobo but I assume that they are just not compatible. Sadly, Asrock do not publish a memory compatibility list so I took a chance on the Kingston module having seen it listed on the Asus QVL (qualified vendor list).

pulck

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I've just bought the same mobo and fitted it with 2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS2 5400 (667). When I power up, no VGA output to monitor and a single, short beep. I've tried just fitting one stick and get the same.

I'm assuming this is also a memory compatibility problem, but cannot check because I don't have any other sticks to check with. Am I best off just replacing the sticks with another brand?

Jarh

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
1 short beep during boot up is correct (and is what I now get from the Asrock board and Kingston when my PC boots corrcetly) which shows that you are getting further than I did so it may not be a memory compatibility problem.

You could try resetting the BIOS (see the mobo manual). Asrock tech support also advised me to try the following (if you have not already done so):

Set the BIOS memory flexibility option:
BIOS > Advanced > Chipset Configuration > Flexibility Option > Enable

Set the VCCM (DRAM) Voltage to High:
BIOS > Advanced > Chipset Configuration > VCCM Voltage > High
(The 'high' setting is approx 1.95volts according to Anandtech)

To change the above settings, you will have to borrow some memory that works in the board - I borrowed a Samsung module from a Dell PC.

I tried these settings with the OCZ memory module I had but they unfortunately did not help. Can you test your Corsair memory in another PC to make sure it is OK?

If all these fail then perhaps you should replace the memory with something listed on the Asus QVL as I eventually did.

The Corsair memory you have should be reasonably good. It seems that some memory manufacturers are producing DDR2 'standard' memory which does not operate at the standard 1.8volts.

pulck

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks, Jarh. That is very helpful... strange that it should beep once when everything is working, as it definitely states on the ASRock site (scroll down to bottom) that 1 beep means "Memory refresh timer error".

First thing I will try is to reset the BIOS. If this fails, I may have to buy a cheap stick of DDR2 to test with - presumably slower RAM will work fine - as I have no other PC to hand which takes DDR2, nor do I have any other DDR2 sticks to try out on this mobo. Currently I'm not even able to see POST on power up...

pulck

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Tried resetting BIOS... no dice. I've ordered 1 stick of cheap 256Mb DDR2 to see if it is indeed a RAM compatibility issue.

Jarh

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Might be worth contacting Corsair tech support to see if they know about any compatibility issues with the Asrock mobo. You could also ask if they have a list of mobos which they know work with the memory you have - it might be cheaper to replace the mobo rather than the memory...

pulck

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Corsair haven't tested this motherboard, so they are not able to help.

However, a new turn of events means that maybe RAM is not my issue. I tried powering up with a Ubuntu boot disc in the drive and although I still get no POST screen (just blank screen), the disc boots up correctly and an image comes on the screen when it is fully booted up???

Does this mean my RAM is indeed compatible and that my issue is elsewhere? Is it possible that this mobo POSTs in a non-standard resolution which is incompatible with my monitor (which is a fairly old CRT job)?

Jarh

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
If the Ubuntu boot disc works then you could be right that teh memory is OK. Suggest you go ahead and see if you can install an OS on the system and see if it works.

I've noticed that when my system POSTs/boots, the LCD screen is quite slow to notice the PC is powered up and so by the time the LCD has switched itself on, all the POST messages have finished/disappeared and the Windows boot screen is already being displayed.

pulck

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I've noticed that when my system POSTs/boots, the LCD screen is quite slow to notice the PC is powered up and so by the time the LCD has switched itself on, all the POST messages have finished/disappeared and the Windows boot screen is already being displayed.

You were right. It turns out that this is exactly what the problem was. The onboard VGA seems to be unable to power up the monitor when it POSTs. However as soon as an OS starts up the monitor powers up. So there's no problem with the RAM after all. It's a shame that I will never get to see the POST messages though.