Question ASRock 970 Extreme4 Error Codes

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
OK, so been having a problem with my machine for a little while. I don't always get an output to the monitor when I first boot up....sometimes have to reboot 20-30 times before it does. So, probably failing graphics card right? Well, it's replacement came today....and I've installed and tried to boot with it over a hundred times and nothing. So pretty sure the card is DOA. Gonna put my old one back in a bit....

But I'm wondering, could it be something else other than the Graphics causing this problem?

I get error codes 10 and sometime 84, possibly B4.

I've taken my memory out and disconnected all my usb devices. Re seated the graphics several times as well as the memory. I think putting old graphics in it will go back to how it was before, i.e. having to reboot several times to get it to boot.

Hope somebody more knowledgeable than I can help me here? :-( Starting to go a bit bald now....from tearing my hair out :-(

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
yep one of the first things i did and completely replaced cmos battery today....still no improvement :-( i think the problem is getting worse as it now seeming like i have to reboot a lot more times before it finally boots properly :-(

Not sure if solving the problem, but you can try replacing the CMOS battery with a new one and, if still the same, ordering a BIOS chip on ebay and replacing the board's one. Another thing to try would be a different power supply, if possible to borrow one.

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
as i said already replaced the battery and i dnt think it's worth it on the BIOS chip, doubtful my soldering skills are up to it and will probably kill the boardi cd try different psu i suppose, got a cheapy nasty one still knocking about somewhere....my money still on the graphic card i think. just bad luck that the 2nd hand replacement is faulty....i'll levae it overnight see if anybody else can suggest anything, then hunt for that psu tomorrow ;-)

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
had no idea it was that easy! thank you! I'll try few other ways of trying to fix before i do that as i'm not sure it is BIOS problem...butif all else fails i shall trythat! Not too expensive either...about £8/9...thanks!

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
in a perfect world yeah, but i could barely afford the graphics card :-( hope to get my money back on that...soi can afford the bios chip...i did actually just give it a little push and it felt a little bit loose, didn't change anything though, still a ah heck to boot but once it's up it's up...so more i think on it cd well be the bios!

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
in a perfect world yeah, but i could barely afford the graphics card :-( hope to get my money back on that...soi can afford the bios chip...i did actually just give it a little push and it felt a little bit loose, didn't change anything though, still a ah heck to boot but once it's up it's up...so more i think on it cd well be the bios!

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
ok, so i just tried with another graphics card...and no joy, so definitely not a graphics card issue....reseated all my psu connectors, to make sure it is not that....I'm reasonably confident in that psu though as i not long bought that and i have no power issues since i bought it...i think there wd be issues with my hard drives if it was a faulty psu? so i'm pretty convinced now it is either a) motherboard problem or b) possibly faulty cpu? I was under the impression on cpus though that they either worked or they didn't.....? is that the case?

now little while back i did have faulty psu, killed a lot of my hard drives :-( hence the replacement....motherboard didn't seem effected at the time....and this new problem has only started to happen last few months, slowly been getting worse

no way i can afford new mobo though....can barely afford the bios chip, but honestly...how likely is it that that would fix the problem? is the bios chip something that regularly 'goes' on motherboards before anything else?

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
think i eliminated possible failing psu by disconnecting all my drives (have 6) + the optical but it still kept doing it....i have a cheap generic/ old psu knocking about but bit loath to risk plugging that into the system, pretty sure it's not the psu...oh and i did try alternative graphics slot as well, so pretty sure not the slot :-(

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
ok, thought i had fixed it...but now got an ongoing problem. Graphic card is radeon HD 5450. same card the machine has always had. machine works fine for a few days then locks up, then can't get past bios as it hangs there....swap out the graphics for this 512gb card i have, then i can boot!, so power down...swap it back to my primary card...then ok for a few days, then it happens again!

error code i get is 62. Which has to do with Southbridge apparently and nothing to do with graphics.....bizarrely clearing cmos doesn't help either. doesn't actually clear at all, even when i pull cmos battery out...maybe i didn't leave it out long enough that time. not tried the pins, just the cmos reset on the back...

this machine has worked fine for a few years...so it could also be partially dodgy/ failing graphics card as well now? i dnt seem to be having any other problems with it.....

Jake Maverick

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
yeah i did have it unplugged.....i just bought an ASUS EN210 off ebay....i'm very poor, so cheap second hand only option i have atm....says it's 1GB, not sure how it will compare to the hd5450 though, although the card seems to work fine as far as i can tell, it may not be that that is at fault tbf