Asrock 970 extreme4 + fx8350 good pair?

Solution
"■Digi Power, Supports AM3+ Processor, 8-Core CPU"

That's from ASRock themselves...that means you're good to go. The extreme4 has had some QC issues...that's the ONLY reason I don't recommend it.

Also, ASRock extreme series boards come with a really good VRM system, which is really what you want...

Ultimately I can't make you buy it, but I built my system on that MoBo and intend to OC, and I have several people who have HEAVILY OC'ed their FX-8350's and run that board...

If you have the money, buy the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0...

If you don't have the money, buy the gigabyte or ASRock board I am talking about...you won't regret any of the 3 boards I have told you...they will work just fine.

8350rocks

Distinguished

No, it has no problems with 8 cores, but the extreme4 series has been..."buggy" and some of those boards have arrived D.O.A (Dead on Arrival)...so for the sake of less issue with having to troubleshoot later if it comes in not working properly...get the extreme3 series and spend the extra money on a GPU.

As a side note, if you ever intend to Crossfire or SLI GPUs...(run 2 cards at once or more...) You may want to instead buy the 990FX series...which will support that capability.

Enderegg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Só hard topick the right hardware :( I may even just get the m5a99 pro. Don't need to overkill the gpu. 7870 tahiti li is almost as good as the 7950 so that will do the job. Thanks but of you have some mobos in your mind say it pls.

8350rocks

Distinguished
ASrock extreme3 970FX or 990FX...970 series runs about $85 and 990 series runs about $100-110...

That board has onboard USB and onboard ethernet...it will work if you want to OC later, and it's a good quality board from ASrock that should last you a good while. You could buy more board than that...but it's really not necessary. If you're only ever going to run 1 GPU (most people will)...then the 970 series is plenty for you.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Extreme3 can OC with the best of them...where did you hear that? I know several people who are EXTREMELY OC'ed on extreme3 boards...(4.8-4.9 GHz on FX 8350) though they have custom loop water systems with high end hardware designed with tolerances to take it...

You should be able to OC to ~4.6 on Air cooling if you use some HD case fans and something like a CM 212 EVO

Enderegg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

really? but every where i look it says it even has problems with stock speed :S

8350rocks

Distinguished
"■Digi Power, Supports AM3+ Processor, 8-Core CPU"

That's from ASRock themselves...that means you're good to go. The extreme4 has had some QC issues...that's the ONLY reason I don't recommend it.

Also, ASRock extreme series boards come with a really good VRM system, which is really what you want...

Ultimately I can't make you buy it, but I built my system on that MoBo and intend to OC, and I have several people who have HEAVILY OC'ed their FX-8350's and run that board...

If you have the money, buy the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0...

If you don't have the money, buy the gigabyte or ASRock board I am talking about...you won't regret any of the 3 boards I have told you...they will work just fine.

Solution

chad20

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
I have the same board though i do not have the 8350, instead im running 8320.

Personally its been a great combo for me, getting stable clock at 4.4ghz. And temps idling around 18c average 35c during gaming

spunner5

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Just an observation after reading countless threads from many, many sites, and reinstalling OS's (Win8.1, 7, and Ubuntu 14.04) into an unstable system. My son's Asrock 970 extreme4 failed after 60 days of use, loosing all audio, regardless of OS. Asrock authorized the return and we suffered the cost for shipping. The board we received two weeks later is very unstable and I spent days of configuration changes, bench testing RAM, and throttling the CPU. Same issue every time...the unit would eventually power off on it's own, in under an hours time. No keyboard press or mouse click would bring it back (if it had fallen asleep) and required a total power cycle of the power supply itself to get it to boot again. Simply hitting the power button on the MB would end in "E8" and no video.

Windows Event viewer showed nothing, other than a Critical event after the recent boot that Windows did no shut down properly prior.

Reading one single post from a user stating that the heatsink on his power regulators were "really hot" opened my eyes. I placed my hand hear the regulators and it was HOT. I quickly dug up a 140mm fan and focused it on the motherboard, between the rear connectors and the CPU. When I awoke this morning, the unit was still running Prime95's torture test (15+ hours and counting).

We're calling ASRock today to look for a return, as I shouldn't need to flood the rear of the motherboard with air like this.

l_n_hughes

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

I have the same problem. Did contacting ASrock help?

spunner5

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Yes it helped as we got an RMA for the 2nd board. It took almost a full two weeks before we had the replacement, but it went in an seemed stable as expected.

Not another two weeks passed and the system wouldn't boot, no video either. "d6" on the motherboard. A call to ASRock ended with a suggestion of "try another video card". The R9 270x removed, replaced with a known good XFX 7770, but same problem. Either card worked great in the next 16x PCIe slot, convincing me that the first slot is unusable.

ASRock is very interested in the system now and has invited us to come in so they can look at the system. We'll see how that goes, possibly tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that MB #4 is the good one that lasts...

Mattmorg

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
My son and I just built a system with the Asrock Extreme 4 motherboard and a FX 8320 and its screaming along at 4.4 GHZ no hiccups what so ever, he games like a mad man and this thing is blowing threw everything NO issues at all. We may even clock it higher when we get a couple more case fans, :)

Vid Dovgan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
I love how I'm sitting here with an ASRock 970 Extreme4 and an FX 8370 and the PC works terrible. The motherboard is thermal throttling my CPU so it's lowering and raising the clock of it -_- even down to 1.3Ghz, my parents have no idea abut PC's and I'm just a 14 year old kid, with this PC that I wanted for so long and now it doesn't even work properly :(