Asrock 970 Extreme4 no post / Bios

Stijnchr

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hello all,

I recently bought a new mobo (Asrock 970 extreme4), CPU (AMD FX8350 Black Edition) and some memory (Kingston 8GB DDR3).
I installed these components and added my working MSI Radeon HD 7770 to the mobo.

When booting the pc, it starts, all of the fans are spinning, the CPU has power, graphics card power plugs are attached, etc. but I get statuscode 99 on the mobo LED's and no video output.

The Asrock website says this statuscode is related to a non-functioning PCI-e device or that i have to switch to another slot.
I have tried all 3 PCI-e slots with the same result.

i did still have an old graphics card available and tried that one out.
But this one gives me the exact same results ad the HD 7770.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Stijn

Stijnchr

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
Yes I have tried all of this.

I am currently troubleshooting the pc outside of the case.
Currently only the PSU, CPU, HSF, memory and GPU are connected.

I keep getting error code 99 once the GPU is inserted in a slot.

Any other suggestions?

Stijn

Stijnchr

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hey,

The BIOS version is 2.30.
The cpu should be supported though, it was in the supported list a while ago (saw a web.archive.org link of it in another forum but cant find the thread anymore).

The mobo + cpu combo was bought as a pack so i suppose this should work together.

Cheers.
Stijn

Stijnchr

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hi,

As I couldn't find any solution or workaround, I called the store from which I bought the mobo and they told me to send it back and get a new one.
I hope it'll be fixed with that new mobo.

If that one doesn't work as well I'll try to get a different model from them.

cheers,
Stijn

ihog

Distinguished
While the 8350 isn't listed under the support lists, some of the bioses (http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS&Model=970%20Extreme4) have "Improve AM3+ FX-8350 and FX-8150 CPU compatibility" under the description.

So, from what I can see, the CPU may be supported, but you would want the bios to be the latest version (2.40) to be as sure as possible that the 8350 isn't causing the issue (though, even then, it still might be causing the issue).