ASRock 970m Pro 3 and Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866Mhz RAM problems

SinystyrEvil

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
I have a asrock 970m pro3 motherboard and 4 sticks of Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866 RAM. My computer runs fine with 2 sticks in A2 and B2 as well as A1 and B1. I've tried all the sticks in various combinations to make sure it's not one of them that's defective or something. It seems they all work fine. When I put in all 4 of them (yes, they are the same exact RAM and were bought at the same time), My computer won't even start! Are there any settings I can change to make them work?

maybe just me and how I been seeing things , but sure seems Kingston get a heck of a lot of issue threads around here at toms ??? seems like 80% memory threads seems to revolve around Kingston branded ??

anyway just my observations on that and opinion

anyway have you looked all this over close ?? [notice memory foot notes and then that memory over 1600 only been verified with 2 sticks ] ???

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M%20Pro3/?cat=Memory

good luck

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With both of you, just in case, what CPU are you running? Did all 4 sticks come in a single package? While it's never a good idea to to mix sets of DRAM -even of the same exact model, with the Fury it can become even more problematic, they run off PnP so they are programmed to run as two sticks. ANother that can play in is that even the high end CPUs (FX models) are rated 'up to' 1866 and at 1 stick per channel or 2 sticks total (they have relatively speaking weak MCs (memory controllers) so would suggest initially is start with two sticks (slots 1-3) and go to BIOS and try raising the DRAM voltage up to 1.56 and set your CPU/NB voltage to 1.25, save exit, shutdown, and then add the other two sticks and give it a try, if no joy, come back with the CPU.

PashConscious

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
I've only just gotten my build going (after almost an entire weekend!) so in reluctant to change anything in the BIOS this week as I won't have time to fix any associated problems but I will try this towards the end of the week :) thanks!

PashConscious

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
TBH in tempted to just replace them with lower bus speed Vengeance Pro (2 x8gb) instead for convenience.

Quick question, am I strictly limited to ram listed as supported? I have an ASRock 970m-Pro3 with FX8320E.

Cheers :)

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
While this Topic is a bit dated, ran across this when researching & am adding my words of experience, While not a 'expert' at anything, I do a lot of repairing/building, so know what I'm speaking of with regards to AM3+/AM3 MB's.

If running a FX CPU, can only run one set of 1866MHz modules as (two modules). Only with 1600MHz RAM (or lower) can all 4 slots be usable. That's not the fault of the MB OEM, rather AMD's specs for their CPU's. Athlon & Phenom models may need lower than 1600 in 4 slots, such as 1333MHz.

To be honest, there's not a huge gain from running 1866MHz modules over 1600MHz for FX builds, plus are missing out of an extra 16GB RAM, assuming there's 4 RAM slots on the MB. More RAM is better than faster as a rule of thumb. Maybe hardcore gamers can tell a slight difference from 1866MHz versus 1600MHz, a great safe default & full compatibility with FX CPU's. See below Topic for cross reference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2876855/series-memory-support-dual-channel-1866mhz.html

Plus here's AMD DDR3 RAM official reference guide. Just as I stated above, Athlon/Phenom requires lower frequency RAM, depending on what CPU is used.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/ddr3memoryfrequencyguide.aspx

Good Luck!

Cat