[SOLVED] asrock 990fx extreme 6 with amd fx8350

Apr 9, 2020
what mhz ram do i need please iv been running 1600 a shop said 1333 im using an 8gig graphics for gaming im after changing my board but dont know which one as i want to use my new GPU and buy a 2nd one as has crossfire tech sapphire RX580 pulse also if im going to change my board and keep DDR3 whats the next board up of similar?for gaming

Last edited:
Solution
what mhz ram do i need please iv been running 1600 a shop said 1333 im using an 8gig graphics for gaming im after changing my board but dont know which one as i want to use my new gpu and buy a 2nd one as has crossfire tech saphire rx580 pulse
According to AMD up to 1866MHz.
Your motherboard supports up to DDR3 2450MHz, in case you're interested in OCing.

The shop might want to part ways with the 1333MHz RAM that no one wants.
what mhz ram do i need please iv been running 1600 a shop said 1333 im using an 8gig graphics for gaming im after changing my board but dont know which one as i want to use my new gpu and buy a 2nd one as has crossfire tech saphire rx580 pulse
According to AMD up to 1866MHz.
Your motherboard supports up to DDR3 2450MHz, in case you're interested in OCing.

The shop might want to part ways with the 1333MHz RAM that no one wants.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 9, 2020
what motherboards are available at the moment for gaming with DDR3 and that have crossfire as the RX580 PULSE 8 gig sounds and seems to be a decent card so id like 2 as has crossfire tech built in and from i understand dont need the bridge across is that rite? so id either have 32 gig ram or 16 gig id like 2 GPU cards im using a 1000 watt GPU and a fan cooler AMD fx8250 so please could you recommend a board for me and which MHz ram please or would a 1600 be fine?

what motherboards are available at the moment for gaming with DDR3 and that have crossfire as the RX580 PULSE 8 gig sounds and seems to be a decent card so id like 2 as has crossfire tech built in and from i understand dont need the bridge across is that rite? so id either have 32 gig ram or 16 gig id like 2 GPU cards im using a 1000 watt GPU and a fan cooler AMD fx8250 so please could you recommend a board for me and which MHz ram please or would a 1600 be fine?
These days Crossfire (or SLI) won't help much on gaming performance. It's best to get a single GPU.
I would recommend to move to a better platform if you're looking into getting gaming performance.
Upgrading that platform won't take you that far. Overclock it as far as you can take it and enjoy it while it lasts.
The 8 years old FX8250 will hold you back if you try to step into a higher tier GPU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Crossfire/SLI is pretty much dead for gaming in 2020 and that situation looks to only get worse.

Even if it did scale well -- which again, it doesn't -- a single RX 580 is only about as far as you'll see a worthy benefit in most situations. We're talking about an eight-year-old platform that was never particularly great for gaming.

A meaningful motherboard upgrade will involve a new CPU and new DDR4 RAM. There's little point to putting a dime into this rig at this point.

what mhz ram do i need please iv been running 1600 a shop said 1333 im using an 8gig graphics for gaming im after changing my board but dont know which one as i want to use my new GPU and buy a 2nd one as has crossfire tech sapphire RX580 pulse also if im going to change my board and keep DDR3 whats the next board up of similar?for gaming
swap to a new platform, think a £80 2200g would beat the FX8350 handily.