Question ASRock AB350 pro 4 5900x?

So the title says it all. I’ve currently got the following system

Ryzen 5 5600x(using wraith prism cooler at the
ASRock AB350 Pro4
16gb ddr4 3000 forget the exact model, Corsair something but will likely pick up a 32gb kit anyway
240gb Samsung Evo 960
2 1tb sata ssd drives
Corsair rmx 850 psu
Cooler master mb511 case(6 fans installed, 3 front intake fans, 2 top exhaust and 1 rear exhaust)

So with all the new launches, I’m thinking sell the 5600x and pick up a 5900x as the final cpu upgrade for this pc. I’m currently running the latest 7.2 beta bios, so the board supports zen 3. The 5600x runs great on it.

According to the website, they showed the 3900x and 3950x as being supported. I guess what I’m asking is if anyone with experience knows if this board would run decently with the 5900x. I’ve had the board since 2018 or so and it’s been a pretty decent board. I thought I saw a post where someone had issues with a 5800x3d running warm on it. A quick bit of research says both cpus are 105 watts.

I’m not planning to overclock a 5900x on that board, I’ve basically got the board already and an wanting to give it a last cpu upgrade to last either until the next socket, or at least until a refresh when prices come down a bit. Thoughts?

Link to my board.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#Overview

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you leave PBO turned off, then it should be fine if the 5600x already runs well.

you need to read some reviews of the board itself and see what kind of power delivery it was able to handle if you want to enable PBO. many budget boards can't deliver what the 5900x can ask for and tend to have the vrm's running pretty hot trying.

i have a 5900x on a b450 Aorus pro and with PBO turned on it'll pull 175w or so until it throttles due to the simple 150w cooler i have on it. but it clearly wants to pull even more.

the 5900x does not come with a cooler so you'll want to buy something decent with at least a 200w abilityif you plan on ever turning on the PBO feature (AMD's auto overclocking feature built into the system)

the real question is why do you feel you need a 5900x? for just gaming the 5600x is more than enough. all those extra cores will be wasted unless you do some serious multi-tasking or other thread heavy stuff. i bought mine due to the amount of vm's i run at once. i needed the extra resources to spread around. otherwise i'd have left the 3600x in place i started with

ASRock AB350 Pro4
16gb ddr4 3000 forget the exact model, Corsair something but will likely pick up a 32gb kit anyway
240gb Samsung Evo 960
2 1tb sata ssd drives
Corsair rmx 850 psu
Cooler master mb511 case(6 fans installed, 3 front intake fans, 2 top exhaust and 1 rear exhaust)

So with all the new launches, I’m thinking sell the 5600x and pick up a 5900x as the final cpu upgrade for this pc. I’m currently running the latest 7.2 beta bios, so the board supports zen 3. The 5600x runs great on it.

According to the website, they showed the 3900x and 3950x as being supported. I guess what I’m asking is if anyone with experience knows if this board would run decently with the 5900x. I’ve had the board since 2018 or so and it’s been a pretty decent board. I thought I saw a post where someone had issues with a 5800x3d running warm on it. A quick bit of research says both cpus are 105 watts.

I’m not planning to overclock a 5900x on that board, I’ve basically got the board already and an wanting to give it a last cpu upgrade to last either until the next socket, or at least until a refresh when prices come down a bit. Thoughts?

Link to my board.

The 5900x will work with that board with your current bios, I do not know how well it will run with that CPU though but I doubt it'll be any sort of major issue, But even though its a 9 Phase VRM, I would have some airflow over the VRM area, the 5900x can draw a good amount of power to heat those up.

Should be fine, Yeah they don't say it supports it, but if you go to the Bios section, Scroll all the way down, it says that Bios version 7.20 supports Vermeer
(Ryzen 5000) CPU's which you are already running the 5600x so you'll be fine.

You will probably want to get a better cooler, the wraith prism cooler wont do vary well with the 5900x.

Good Luck!

It’s mainly for gaming. Just mainly thinking have it as high as it can go to see if I can hold till am6 or maybe even a new Intel socket, or at least until a refresh like zen 5 for example.

From the look of it I can still sell the 5600x for about what I paid. Let me ask this, in my parts I’ve got a vetroo v5 that I had 2 fans set up in a push pull config on. Do you think that will be fine at stock?

https://www.newegg.com/red-cooler-master-masterbox-mb511-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119346

This is my current case. 3 fans for intake in front, two on top for exhaust and 1 in the rear for exhaust also.

Edit: found this review on the board with a ryzen 9 3900x. So this probably gives a clue how the board would act with the 5900x I’m guessing. So if I’m not enabling PBO, it seems like the 5900x might be pointless. I suppose then if I still feel like maxing out the board, I may sell the 5600x for around what I paid for it and get the 8 core 5700x. Kind of seems like 6 cores will reach their end of life at some point. Depending how long I keep this board the 2 extra cores may be good. I do like some of the total war games and have read they like extra cores.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Last edited:
It’s mainly for gaming. Just mainly thinking have it as high as it can go to see if I can hold till am6 or maybe even a new Intel socket, or at least until a refresh like zen 5 for example.

From the look of it I can still sell the 5600x for about what I paid. Let me ask this, in my parts I’ve got a vetroo v5 that I had 2 fans set up in a push pull config on. Do you think that will be fine at stock?

https://www.newegg.com/red-cooler-master-masterbox-mb511-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119346

This is my current case. 3 fans for intake in front, two on top for exhaust and 1 in the rear for exhaust also.

Edit: found this review on the board with a ryzen 9 3900x. So this probably gives a clue how the board would act with the 5900x I’m guessing. So if I’m not enabling PBO, it seems like the 5900x might be pointless. I suppose then if I still feel like maxing out the board, I may sell the 5600x for around what I paid for it and get the 8 core 5700x. Kind of seems like 6 cores will reach their end of life at some point. Depending how long I keep this board the 2 extra cores may be good. I do like some of the total war games and have read they like extra cores.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Eh, it depends don't the work load I guess, a game like Battlefield 2042 despite all the issues, will probably enjoy the 5900x more than the 5600x in terms of performance. My 5900x is almost not enough for me honestly, decided to sell my dual Xeon server and use my main rig for a Plex media server and a Pihole server and I do game on it from time to time, transcoding some 4k movies will push my 5900x to 80% or so, I do limit the number of threads it uses to just 8 threads and the Plex server does just fine. I could use a 5960x but not wanting to spend money on it lol.

Just gaming, that 5600x should do just fine, and moving to the 5900x you might not see a huge improvement is any in some games. But its hard to say what the future games will be like and how it will handle cores.

If it were me, I would look for the best deal you can get on a 5900x, sell that 5600x of yours and maybe in the future if you find a B550 or x570 board for cheap, I'd move to that so you got PBO.

AM6 and whatever Intel has is quite a long way out and I feel the 5900x will hold it's own longer than the 5600x would as most newer games are starting to take advantage of multiple threads, if this was 5 years ago with how software was, I'd say just still with the 5600x, but that's no longer the case with how fast GPU's are getting and how common multiple cores are being used now.

Good Luck!

You could be right. I was poking around my settings and in ryzen master I’m not using the auto overclocking settings, in the bios everything should be just pretty much stock, except I think I have fan speed set to 100% for cpu. If that’s the case and I’m not overclocking it beyond stock it may do fine, which if I want to push it too far I can always pick up another board. But I imagine by that point I would probably be looking at newer tech anyway since new stuff should have dropped in prices a bit.

Edit: was just poking around and never thought really about doing this. This video is about 4 years old but might be worth doing in a situation like this. Basically he simply gets a couple of L brackets and uses the opposite screw holes on the exhaust fan to be able to mount a fan pointing straight down over the cpu fan so that there’s airflow directly over the vrms. Not sure what his cpu was but he said he got about a 10 degree drop I think on vrm temps.

View: https://youtu.be/RTR9OSkgA7M

Last edited:
Well…. We’ll see how this works out. Found a used 5900x on eBay for $320. The guy had over 400 feedback with 100% rating. So we’ll see if my old board can handle it at stock. At least I should still get 150-160 for my 5600x. Started considering the 5700x and 5800x but yeah…this should be a good last cpu update for my old system to hold out a couple more years.

Here’s the one I ended up buying

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3046276264...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
With a 300 chipset MB you'd waste some features on all Ryzen 5000.
First problem is fast RAM (also with 2000 and 3000 Ryzen) which are really fond of fast RAM.
Other problem may be with lack of PBO2 and Core Optimization only 500 series MBs have. It's really helpful feature that specially helps to keep voltages and heat to minimum. "Old" PBO just messes things up.

You are quite possibly correct. At this point I've already purchased it and it's on the way, so I'll toss it in there and see what it does. But I can definitely pick up another board later.
Good luck.
I run into similar situation when switching from R7 1700x to 3700x on X370 MB and now again when switching to 5800x on x470 MB although memory speed is not problematic.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
Posting back. The cpu arrived. Running it at stock with no overclocking. I’m actually using the wraith prism cooler on it that I still had. Idle temperatures are fluctuating between 25-35 C. On a 10 pass run of Intel burn test with the side of the case on, the highest temp I saw for the cpu was just over 72. Not quite to 73. But the temps when the load backs off immediately drops. Just a minute or so after the test it’s already back at 27C. So it seems happy.

If the temps get to be high I’ve got a vetroo v5 leftover that I can toss on it but kind of like the look of the rgb on the prism. Running cinebench r23multi core the boost click on all cores seems to stay just over 4ghz. It appears now it’s at 4,067. Temps go up to about 70, just under that when under a load like cinebench though. I’ll update with its score when the run is finished.

Score was 19928. So I may be a little on the low side, however I’m still running 16gb ddr4 3000 MHz. So next upgrade will probably be to 32gb ddr4 3200 at least. My board could be holding me back a bit as well as the wraith prism. I’m too lazy to unmount the cooler tonight and put the vetroo on though. Maybe when I pick up the new ram in a few months. But for a board from 2017-2018, not bad I suppose.

Maybe my last update on this thread but got motivated this evening and installed my vetroo v5 cooler back on the cpu with a push pull fan configuration. Updated chipset drivers on my board and did a 10 minute cinebench r23 run. Result was 20154. A little lower probably than if I’d been using a b550 or x570 board, but for a board from almost 5 years ago hard to complain.

With the vetroo on there it’s idling at 27 at the moment. Of course that bounces up and down a little. Ran a quick run of Intel burn test and saw the highest temp at just over 70 C, and that it was boosting to almost 4.5. Undoubtedly my board may be holding the cpu back slightly but seems decent anyway. Should hold until I upgrade down the road. Not going to test the theory but makes me wonder what it would do with something like an x370 with beefier vrms. Single core cinebench r23 was 1552 score.

Quick Edit: started cinebench r23 single core test and this cpu is actually boosting to 4.9ghz and staying right around 60 C. The clocks are staying at the moment at 4.66 give or but was going to the speeds above earlier. So in case anyone else has this board or the b450 version and is considering this upgrade I say go for it. My last upgrades to this system will likely be 32gb ddr4, maybe a bigger ssd for game storage and perhaps 1 more gpu upgrade depending how long I decide to run this box.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022

ASRock AB350 Pro4
240gb Samsung Evo 960
2 1tb sata ssd drives
Corsair rmx 850 psu

Link to my board.

Maybe you can help me.
I believe I have a problem with FTPM, and I know that the beta version AGESA fixes this.
But I'm not sure if this BIOS will work on my 2700x.
From the BIOS description it should work, but I've read some issues being reported.
Do you upgrade to 7.2 from which cpu? Did you try to start windows with the old cpu or did you change for 5600x after update bios?
Thanks

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Posting back. The cpu arrived. Running it at stock with no overclocking. I’m actually using the wraith prism cooler on it that I still had. Idle temperatures are fluctuating between 25-35 C. On a 10 pass run of Intel burn test with the side of the case on, the highest temp I saw for the cpu was just over 72. Not quite to 73. But the temps when the load backs off immediately drops. Just a minute or so after the test it’s already back at 27C. So it seems happy.

If the temps get to be high I’ve got a vetroo v5 leftover that I can toss on it but kind of like the look of the rgb on the prism. Running cinebench r23multi core the boost click on all cores seems to stay just over 4ghz. It appears now it’s at 4,067. Temps go up to about 70, just under that when under a load like cinebench though. I’ll update with its score when the run is finished.

at stock speeds with PBO turned off, the power is limited to the 105w tdp. easy to cool with the wrath cooler, but at that power level the better cooler will drop those temps a lot. i have PBO turned on for my 5900x and see mid to high 70's with it pulling ~200w in a torture test. this is basically the limit to what my mobo can provide not what the cpu can handle. i have a budget GB Aorus pro so i did not even expect to hit 200w so i'm happy and not gonna bother with a new mobo myself.

just to show you the difference in cooling capabilities if you get bored and want to throw a better cooler on it. at stock you'll see much lower temps and could turn on PBO and prob see the same or similar temps with higher clocks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3540468814...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Actually got a good deal on this so it should be here in the next couple days. Even has a vrm fan. I think that should cool it nicely.

If they’d have had this in stock when I ordered it may have been the way to go. 60 bucks and 10 shipping for an Arctic cooling freezer 2 abcs still 6 year warranty. Looks like it’s the company themselves selling as bstock. I’ll have to let you know how mine pans out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3540771868...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Update I received it. It was basically in new shape. I think it was revision 3, I believe the latest is revision 4. Anyway, got it installed and turned on pbo again. Highest I’ve seen is just over 77, but that’s with pbo turned on and it boosting to 4.3-4.4ghz on all cores. On a 10 minute cinebench run it didn’t go over 77.4 I think. So seemed pretty decent. In games at least uncharted 4 it seemed to sit around 50. Idle appears to be in the 30s.

Reactions: CountMike
Update I received it. It was basically in new shape. I think it was revision 3, I believe the latest is revision 4. Anyway, got it installed and turned on pbo again. Highest I’ve seen is just over 77, but that’s with pbo turned on and it boosting to 4.3-4.4ghz on all cores. On a 10 minute cinebench run it didn’t go over 77.4 I think. So seemed pretty decent. In games at least uncharted 4 it seemed to sit around 50. Idle appears to be in the 30s.
Those are great temps.