Asrock AB350 Pro 4 SATA help!!

sito9653

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

Got my Asrock AB350 Pro 4 board yesterday and have it all set up with my Ryzen 5 1600. Everything was fine on the board and got windows up and running.

However I discover a problem when trying to add more drive, my SATA 3, 4, A1 and A2 port doesn't work. None of them would detect any HD I plug into them. I've tested the cable and power and they're all working when plugged into SATA 1 or 2.

To troubleshoot, I've also cleared the CMOS and removed the battery. settings were reset in BIOS but still can't detect the drive. My BIOS version is already P3.30

If anyone have any idea please let me know.. really don't want to send the board back after all the set up.

P.S. the drives are NOT detected in BIOS when connecting to those 4 port.. it's not just windows.

Thank you in advance!

sito9653

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017

I'm home now and just looked at the setting. There is no individual setting for the SATA controller.. it's either Enabled or not (obviously i wanted it to be enabled for all... )

Also, SATA 3_1 and 3_2 works... just 3_3. 3_4. A1 and A2 doesnt work.. no M.2 are installed

sito9653

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017

already done that step with no luck... it was part of my first troubleshooting attempt.

sito9653

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017

no M.2 drive.

Ab350 Pro 4 board
Ryzen 5 1600
Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4
a seagate 240 GB SSD drive
R7 370 card

sito9653

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017

AHCI
I was hoping it might be something stupid on my part....
noooo.... anyone have experience with ASRock CS? hope it's not a PITA

zach.couasnon

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just bought this board and am having the exact same issue. SATA3_1 and 2 work, but SATA3_3 and 4 don't work. I just pinged Asrock customer support so we'll see how this goes.

zach.couasnon

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I'm using an M2 NVME in M2_2 which I know disables SATA3_3 per the manual. I'm fine with that, but BIOS won't detect anything installed in SATA3_4 like it should. SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 work just fine. I actually removed the NVME from M2_2 to test SATA3_3 and it still didn't work. BIOS won't register anything on those 2 connectors.

I flashed BIOS from 3.20 to 3.30 this morning.

Another weird issue I'm having is that the NVME I installed in M2_2 isn't detected by the BIOS either despite the fact that I was able to install WIN10 on it and I can see it in Disk Manager. Very odd.

I´m not sure the M2_2 port is PCIe nvme compatible, manual says it´s a SATA M.2 interface.

Which SSD is it?

Did you install it in the M2_1 slot first and installed windows there?

So first sata port from the bottom and the one above aren´t recognized if a formatted disk is connected?

SATA3_A1 and A2 are working as well?

To test the sata 3_3 port, did you reset the BIOS before?

zach.couasnon

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
It's a Samsung 960 EVO. I did not install it in the M2_1 port first before installing Windows - installed from M2_2. If M2_1 is in use, it disables PCIE4 which I need for my USB Type C card. My GPU is installed in PCIE2 FYI.

"So first sata port from the bottom and the one above aren´t recognized if a formatted disk is connected?" --> yes, this is correct.

"SATA3_A1 and A2 are working as well?" --> yes, these work fine.

"To test the sata 3_3 port, did you reset the BIOS before?" --> like clear the cmos? yes.

Did you install the bios for the AB350M pro 4 or the AB350 pro 4?

Load default settings in BIOS, save and restart

boot priority should be available for the M.2

edit: the M2_2 slot could be incompatible to boot from a nvme PCIe SSD, because ASrock mentions that it can only be used with SATA M.2 drives. But that´s just a guess, because of ASRock´s specifications I thought the M2_2 doesn´t work at all with PCIe SSDs
here a link I found:
click on
"What kind of M.2 specification can your AM4 motherboard support? Is M.2 shared with SATA port? Which SATA port?"
http://www.asrock.com/microsite/AM4TSD/

zach.couasnon

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I definitely installed the correct bios update. I don't think it will install if you try to flash with the wrong board version.

I just set my UEFI to default and restarted. No dice unfortunately.

It boots just fine from the NVME in M2_2. It's weird that the BIOS doesn't detect the drive though but Windows does. I've never seen that before lol!

Jan 6, 2019
I am currently experiencing the same issue where SATA3_A1and SATA3_A2 quit on me. They intermittently worked when re-seating the SATA cables, but now they've completely gone out. I did submit an RMA request, but even if it is accepted, I don't think I'll be sending it back. I opted to purchase a PCIe SATA card instead and just not using the faulty SATA ports. Buying a $25 card feels cheaper than removing all my components, re-configuring my setup and paying shipping both ways.

ARMISTICErj

Commendable
Mar 21, 2019
I’m having similar issues.

I can plug the one drive that has my OS into any sata port and it works but all others won’t initialize and a Samsung SSD I tried didn’t even show up in bios.

I’ve tried resetting bios, updated drivers, reset cmos, updated to newest bios, tried different SSD I know works, different cables, different ports.

Windows 10 OS is on 240gb Kingston and works fine but any SSD I plug in doesn’t register at all or shows up as 2mb for the Seagate 500gb SSD.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019
Old most but you go :)

i have a problem with the SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 ports going at SATA2 speed

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Pro4/#Specification

Under Storage

• 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon 2xxGE series APU)**
  • 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s)**
*M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
and
**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.
Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

Last edited: