Question ASROCK AB350 PRO4 3 STICKS OF RAM

Jul 10, 2019
Hey guys, so I recently got a stick of ram Kingston Hyperx 16gb 3200mhz. and I still have 2 ram sticks of 8gb 2400mhz, any tips how i should pair them. I have no idea how to do them.
Pc won't boot up sometimes and sometimes it stays up for 1 minute with no signal on my monitor and then it just shuts down.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • Mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility. RAM is ONLY guaranteed in the form sold (from the exact same pack) and it is quite common for mixed modules to cause a no boot, or instability issue.
  • Running 3 modules on a dual channel board, unless the additional memory is required by your normal usage of the PC, can slow down RAM performance as you are accessing 3 modules from only 2 channels. Usually for gaming 16GB is more than enough for example.
  • On top of this the 2 modules are different speeds, which can create a little more risk of problems. That and the 3200 RAM will likely downclock to match your 2400 RAM.
  • You'll want to make sure you reset CMOS when you install the new RAM module, and sometimes it can take a little time before boot as the system is configuring the new RAM. You also want to install them as per the motherboard manual .

But again, ultimately, mixed RAM modules have no guarantee of working together at all anyway. If you want to test the individual RAM module, you can remove the previous pair and simply install the 16GB and see if it boots normally.

Jul 10, 2019
  • Mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility. RAM is ONLY guaranteed in the form sold (from the exact same pack) and it is quite common for mixed modules to cause a no boot, or instability issue.
  • Running 3 modules on a dual channel board, unless the additional memory is required by your normal usage of the PC, can slow down RAM performance as you are accessing 3 modules from only 2 channels. Usually for gaming 16GB is more than enough for example.
  • On top of this the 2 modules are different speeds, which can create a little more risk of problems. That and the 3200 RAM will likely downclock to match your 2400 RAM.
  • You'll want to make sure you reset CMOS when you install the new RAM module, and sometimes it can take a little time before boot as the system is configuring the new RAM. You also want to install them as per the motherboard manual .
But again, ultimately, mixed RAM modules have no guarantee of working together at all anyway. If you want to test the individual RAM module, you can remove the previous pair and simply install the 16GB and see if it boots normally.
Right now I am on the 16gb ram with 3200 mhz. I will try the things you said. If it downclocks really bad I won't use it

Reactions: PC Tailor