Question asrock ab350m pro4 Ram issue

Mar 15, 2019
My ASRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard is still giving me IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL as an error unless I remove one stick of RAM, even after I replaced the motherboard.

Parts List
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157762
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113481
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231888
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125901
The Problem
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is the only error message, but it only happens with both sticks of RAM in, or with one stick of RAM in anything but the 4th slot.

Using only one stick of RAM fixes the issue, but that leaves me with 8gigs instead of the full 16 gigs. The first time around, I thought it was the motherboard that was the issue, given that the RAM sticks both worked, now I am completely flummoxed. I am using Windows 10 Pro. Feel free to ask for any other relevant parts or hardware. I am at a loss here, and I don't want to send my motherboard back in, is it the RAM that is the issue? Is there something I need to change or download? I posted to r/buildapc, but they had no answers. The internet has not availed me either.
I also checked this page, but I am not sure what I am looking for, per se.https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Memory
I have noticed from past comments in various places to modify my bios, but I am not sure what to modify.

DavidM012

Distinguished
a better way to search qvl is the vendor's site. The blurb for your dimms says it has been qvl tested on intel not amd platforms so you selected more intel than ryzen compatible dimms.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gtzrx

This is the only gskill model that explicitly says it's qvl for the b350m pro 4.

If you want to dual channel 2933 with single rank dimms you'll have to do a wider search for the faster ram you can start with the gskill search tree but there are also other brands on the qvl list.

The gskill fortis model also has ddr 4 2400 that is a bit cheaper at £75, no rgb leds

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c16d-16gft

Basically shop around for the best deal you can find. The blurb says the board does actually support the 2933mhz single rank single channel configuration that's 1x16gb of ddr 3 2933 or 3000 dimms, probably more rather than less expensive.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Specification

at least that's what I think that horrible table on the spec. sheet says. If you do that and upgrade your cpu later to summit ridge tho, you'll again face compatibility problems and have to search new memory with the new cpu. It doesn't look like gskill has a single channel 2933 dimm for it they only sell kits of 2x8gb for the lower dual channel spd. according to that search engine.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
dual inline memory modules. the gvr ones are intel compatible not ryzen compatible. It evidently only works single channel.

You might be able to get a single ddr4 3000 d(ual) i(nline) m(emory) m(odule) or 'stick' of memory from some other vendor if it's on the qvl for the board and therefore pre-tested. Rather than dual channel ddr4 2400's. For slightly faster memory. But that will complicate any later upgrades.

You will have to search for one there is no easy way to simply find a dimm that will work on it.

DavidM012

Distinguished
It works dual channel for 2400mhz with a matched pair of AMD compatible qvl dimms that is overclocked from the default 2133 mhz

You bought intel compatible dimms

The b350m pro 4 specification says you can run 1 dimm in single channel configuration to get 2933 mhz on raven ridge. eg. 2200g

So if you want 16gb it will have to be 1 16gb dimm that's what it says the mobo supports. Since dimms are mostly found in kits you'll have to start with the qvl and search each 16gb module 'til you find one that fits your budget and wishes.

If you're happy with 2400 go dual channel. If you want to go for 2933mhz spd you'll have to go single channel, one dimm in socket a2. the horrible table says.

To get dual channel 2933 you need pinnacle ridge. And they have to be single rank dimms. It looks like the dual channel support on the b350m pro 4 is 2667mhz so you would have to find ddr4 2666 rather than ddr4 2400 dimms as you initally selected, it isn't clear if that means up to 2667mhz or only 2667mhz.

And I think they come in ddr 4 2400 from gskill. Crucial, corsair, patriot, team, and hyper X do 2666mhz dimms for it.

The only single dimms that is similar to the qvl for example

https://turbo.dreampc.com.au/product/cmk16gx4m1b3000c15/ (not precisely exactly the same as the qvl so don't know if compatible)

Is $180

And the part number is off by 1 digit

CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 (the qvl amd compatible memory) It is x4m1 rather than x4m2. Maybe the m1/m2 in the part number simply refers to whether or not the darn thing is in a kit of 1 or 2.

They only tested it in dual channel in pinnacle ridge? Why's it on the raven ridge list? Basically there is a confusing problem trying to match memory to board. The b350m pro 4 horrible table only says it supports single channel single rank 2933mhz dimms.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing in 2 different sales mode eg. 1 dimm or 2 dimms

Or an altogether different dimm. I can only find the qvl 2933mhz dimm for sale in a kit of 2.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory

Here is the Corsair memory finder. Maybe you'll find one or two dimms that fits the bill!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
This sucks. I have been building computers for 15 years and ram selection has never been this much of a pain. Do you think Gskill would allow me to trade in the ram I bought for comparable ram that is compatible?

DavidM012

Distinguished
You might be able to send it back if you say bought in error they might charge a handling fee or maybe if you find an amd compatible model they stock on newegg and you buy it from them they'll be really nice and let you exchange it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Selecting the compatible ram is still the decision you have to make whether you want ddr 4 2667 dual channel or ddr 4 2933 single channel.

You still have to search for compatible dimms.

Times do a change rather quickly. If you bought a kit of 2 dual channel 8gb 2933mhz dimms that are qvl you could use one in single channel for 8gb with the 2200g and if you later upgrade to pinnacle ridge cpu you could use the 2nd dimm for dual channel 2933mhz. Otherwise they might only run at 2667mhz dual channel. Probably. If the system doesn't mind down clocking them. And again, they have to be single rank dimms. If the sales page doesn't say that specifically don't buy them. Check the qvl to see which ones are single side or double side. They do not use the term single rank or double rank on their qvl. They use the term single side or double side.

If you buy 1 x16gb 2933 for single channel ddr 4 2933 then you will again face compatibility questions if you try to upgrade the cpu or want to add another 16gb dimm. The same dImms sold seperately not part of a kit may be incompatible.

2x8gb might be cheaper than 1x 16gb b-die but only using half of it 'til you upgrade, well this is all a bit of a mess.

All this is about what the mobo and cpu support in combination. A different board might have a different range of compatible dimms too. Then you would have to start the searching process for qvl dimms all over again. But the b450m pro 4 list looks pretty similar with the same horrible tables for raven ridge that says you can only have single channel 2933mhz with it.

Eventually you should build a sense of what dimms are compatible if you keep searching the lists. But I think in the end there aren't any savings to be had overclocking the memory rather you will pay for every Mhz.

Though I've heard it said memory prices are set to drop somewhat with the next release of zen 3 or 2 or whatever it is, in the summer.

However you need a compatible dimm or 2x 8gb kit now in any case. Exchange the dimms for some dual channel 2667mhz might be the best option at this juncture, considering the price of the 1x16gb corsair/samsung b-die at $180 dollars, too expensive.

DavidM012

Distinguished
They are intel compatible dimms according to all the blurb. And there is evidently some problem with compatibility. If you buy cheaper 2400 mhz dimms and try to overclock them to 3200mhz what would the surprise be, that it worked.

If you had a free box of dimms you could sit there all day and try which ones worked. There is sketchy info on what others have sucessfully overclocked on the b350m pro 4. And the horrible table says on their spec. sheet it only supports 2667mhz dual channel.

If there is some knowledge that says what cheap dimms work on it at 3200mhz, what bios settings to precisely use that someone did and it worked, post the link!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
They are intel compatible dimms according to all the blurb. And there is evidently some problem with compatibility. If you buy cheaper 2400 mhz dimms and try to overclock them to 3200mhz what would the surprise be, that it worked.
Well yeah, in general I wouldn't expect a 2400 MHz kit to run at 3200 MHz. I'm just saying that 2400 MHz isn't that fast so I'm surprised it wouldn't work even if they're not on the QVL.

The feature page may say "designed for Intel" or whatever but that doesn't mean they won't work with AMD. It's probably just because when those sticks came out Intel was the only one that had DDR4 CPUs. It also says it was made for 6th gen Intel CPUs and Z170 chipset, but it works just as well with any other DDR4 Intel CPU + mobo.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
When placed in board with raven ridge they didn't work. DDR 4 is a slightly different tech to DDR 3 and that you have to buy kits each time you want to upgrade as well, eg. you'd need a new 4x8gb kit rather than a 2x8+2x8, because mismatched dimms aren't guaranteed to work together is a bit fussier than ddr 3, though some ddr3 platforms especially laptops and proprietary PCs also have similar compatibility questions.

The tried and tested path of qvl+ review tends to apply to flagship products where they promoted the top line with all the pistons firing where the other reviews tend towards reviews with non identical combinations of mem cpu& board to what these guys reporting problems have bought so it's difficult to draw comparisons and though it's supposedly possible you could strike on a combination that is non-qvl, non reviewed that could work, or you can relax the timings and so on, that's not very likely and I certainly don't think it can be advised to tweak the voltages all the info you have to go on is qvl or reviews with identical hardware, in exactly the same configuration, and those reviews are only on more top of the range gear.

If you have only got one shot at purchasing your build then read the qvl and reviews and check what exact configuration they were using to get a decent overclock. Then see if the dimms in particular are even in stock any more!

Here are two reviews of the b350m

a qvl review using corsair CMR16GX4M2C3000C15 = Makes no mention of the memory overclock. Runs it at 2133mhz. You can also search Corsair's site for cheaper non-rgb versions. rgb versions £124~.

a non-qvl review using g skill F4-3866C18D-16GTZ £202) if you look at the overclocking page 'failed to post using xmp'. He used the intel qvl dimms. Dimms price between £189-253 in various outlets on google shopping page.

=no info on overclock.

So you could end up spending too much on incompatible dimms if you don't check the qvl and if you do then you still have to guess what the overclock might be. With the information given so far.

It also says the b350m pro 4 has bios no manual inputs for memory. You can't tweak it if you want to. You will have to plan ahead and buy qvl compliant dimms with the capacity you want. If you think you will want 32gb buy a kit of 32gb. Don't buy seperate kits at different times. Splash the dosh. If you want the top speed you need single channel 1 x 16gb ddr 4 3000 (ddr 4) qvl dimm selected from any available on the list. Search 4 best price on it.

The horrible table on the specs page says dual channel runs at 2667 no clues so far if you can actually attempt to rev it up to 3200mhz. If you're really stuck then ask Asrock support for a dimm recommendation.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
I ran the memtest to completion. As for the bios, it can be updated, which I guess follows my next question: Is updating the bios using the internet flash an ok thing to do? Or is it better to do a usb flash? I have never done either, so I am hesitant about it, and don't want to screw it up.