ASRock Announces Two Xeon E3-1200 V5 Compatible Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Scratching my head on the "gamer" board. Are these server parts coming with unlocked multipliers or is asrock just that confident in the parts ability to over clock?

There certainly is a market for these on the gaming and "non-pro" side of the market. If pricing is right, my next build will be an E3v5.

Zerk, no, the Xeon's won't be multiplier unlocked, but they share Skylake's more OC friendly BCLK. This, IMNSHO, is why Intel made the v5 incompatible with Z170 and H170. The 1231v3 already ate into the i7 sales on LGA1150. If you can take a v5 to 4 GHz and beyond on BCLK adjustment alone, why would anyone buy the more expensive 6700K? So, if these server boards allow BCLK adjustment, it's a smart move to grab these instead of a more expensive i7. Again, if the mboard and CPU prices are right.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
If they are anything like the E5-16XX V1, V2, or V3 then they will be multiplier unlocked.

The multiprocessor versions, 2XXX 4XXX and 8XXX, variations are multiplier locked, but the 1P Xeons aren't.

I've got an E5 1650V2, which is essentially a high quality 4930K, sailing along at 4.5GHz and it runs COOL - 68C max under Prime95 and with a big, quiet air cooler.

price please. the 1230v5 is basically a dream chip at $275. if the motherboard costs around $125 on a decent deal then the 1230v5 is your new king of the hill no doubt. add $35 for a decent cooler like the cryorig h7 and you are sitting at about $435 total. thats only a few bucks more than a 6700k alone.

can anyone find the turbo binning for the 1230v5? it just gives a generic 34x base with a 38x turbo. there is no break down for how much turbo multi for single, dual, and quad core. i would assume 38x for single, maybe 37x or 36x for dual, and 35x or 34x for quad. but its entirely possible that like other skylake processors it will turbo all four cores up as high as 36x. anyways 34x120bclk=4.08ghz and 38x120bclk=4.56ghz. sure would be nice if it can do all four cores at 36x120bclk=4.32ghz. that would be a lot of bang for your buck.

If they are anything like the E5-16XX V1, V2, or V3 then they will be multiplier unlocked.

The multiprocessor versions, 2XXX 4XXX and 8XXX, variations are multiplier locked, but the 1P Xeons aren't.

I've got an E5 1650V2, which is essentially a high quality 4930K, sailing along at 4.5GHz and it runs COOL - 68C max under Prime95 and with a big, quiet air cooler.

These are E3s, not E5s. I am not aware of any multiplier unlocked models for the Xeon E3 SKUs.

I'm stuck on why anyone would buy a 6700K when you can go for a 5820K for a similar price for the CPU plus motherboard. Skylake is still way too expensive when six core cut-down Extreme Editions are price-competitive.

If the Xeon V5 platform prices out well and BCLK overclocking isn't somehow gimped, then consumer Skylake will probably not do too well moving forward for the enthusiast buyers.

It's similar to why anyone would buy a 4790K over a 1231v3. Some people just want bragging rights and chase maximum clockrates, regardless if it actually does anything for them. And most people want to get to a new platform for the better chipset. In the case of the i7 vs E3v3, at least getting a 4790K means you can get eight threads going at 4.0+ GHz where the Xeon can't hope to get that high. If you can saturate those threads, the speed increase is very meaningful.

Amdlova

Distinguished
My Work computer right now is the xeon 1270v1 sandy bridge-ws cheap 100us with the gigabyte b75-dh3 make a good combo. low power good speed. Right now i can say. this xeon is better than a 3770k. I can rar a large file. browser, lots of torrent 48 same time (my old x2 265 with oc works only 18 at time) and play a game... i think that xeon v5 with ddr5 ECC will make a overkill combo. I want that! bring the power tests to the table!

In what sense? That it cost less? The 3770K at stock clocks is 100 MHz faster at both base and turbo multipliers and has added efficiency from being IB whereas that Xeon is SB. Add in overclocking and the i7 would embarrass the Xeon. If money isn't an issue and you're just worried about pure performance, an unlocked i7 will outdo any Xeon E3. If you want eight threads for cheap, then the Xeon is the better value.

if the 1230v5 can hit 4.4ghz and maintain it across all cores, i dont see any reason why anybody would buy anything else period. even with your common bang for buck hyper 212 evo or similar, you really cant go past 4.4-4.6ghz anyways on any ivy bridge or later chip. unless you get a very nice power supply, a top of the line air cooler/entry level water, and a mid-high end motherboard, you wont be able to push the 6700k much farther than 4.6ghz anyways. or at least relative to any appreciable gain in speed.

one thing i do read on the avs forums, skylake z170 supports hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 which is a major deal breaker for home theater pcs that want to be able to handle ultra blu ray content that is recorded at 2160p@48/60hz. hdmi 1.4 is limited to 24hz@2160p. so you either need z170 or a a gtx 9xx maxwell card to handle that. im not exactly sure if this c232 chipset and/or this asrock motherboard supports alpine ridge if you choose to go with an i core processor or a xeon that has an igpu .

It's similar to why anyone would buy a 4790K over a 1231v3. Some people just want bragging rights and chase maximum clockrates, regardless if it actually does anything for them. And most people want to get to a new platform for the better chipset. In the case of the i7 vs E3v3, at least getting a 4790K means you can get eight threads going at 4.0+ GHz where the Xeon can't hope to get that high. If you can saturate those threads, the speed increase is very meaningful.

I said not too well, not that it would not sell at all. Of course there will be buyers, there always are. My point was not about the Xeons. but rather about Haswell-E which gives you another two cores and still has multiplier overclocking. The only real caveat there is that power consumption is much higher and generally speaking, people who care enough to shoot for maximum performance don't mind that too much.

Regardless, with the Xeon and BCLK overclocking, around 4GHz should be very common and at least somewhat over it shouldn't be rare. Although a few people will chase maximum clocks on the 6700K, even most overclockers dont care about that as a primary goal and will go with the more cost effective way to get enough performance to do what they want to do well. A few percent here or there isn't what most people are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.