Asrock Announces X99 BIOS Update, Outs Entire Intel Broadwell-E Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I got a 5820k so no need to upgrade here, but I really want to see what Zen is all about. I'm sure it wont beat whatever i5/i7 is out at that time, but all it needs to do is be somewhat close and cost a good deal less and it might just be the go to recommendation for those who just want to game well and not focused on what cpu is at the top of the food chain.

G

This update completely breaks power management in Haswell-E processor.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Who has an extreme edition cpu and is concerned about power management? We bought them for power, efficiency be damned.

If it just raises a little power consumption, that's nothing big. Or is he saying this causes actual power management problems that leads to system instability? Can't tell the way it's worded.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
It seems like Asrock continues to poke the bear that is Intel, first advertising non-Z/K overclocking, and then leaking data. I wonder how this will turn out - I don't think there will be any popcorn needed, but something should happen, right?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Sssssh Everything will be all right haha

None of this is news though. We have known about the Broadwell-E parts, their numbers and their core counts. Only thing we do not know is what their pricing of what kind of performance increase per core per clock we will see.

Martian-oasis

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
There is no link to update for the X99 OC Formula/3.1 MB? Anyone know why? I have been using this with my 5960x but I wonder if Asrock had stopped supporting.

Sep 30, 2013
I got a 5820k so no need to upgrade here, but I really want to see what Zen is all about. I'm sure it wont beat whatever i5/i7 is out at that time, but all it needs to do is be somewhat close and cost a good deal less and it might just be the go to recommendation for those who just want to game well and not focused on what cpu is at the top of the food chain.
It's possible it will beat the consumer stuff from Intel too. But if it does it may cost as much as the most expensive of them or even more, but if the motherboard is cheaper than an X99 one that helps sell it anyway,

Also the first 10 nm Intel chips may have 6 core in the mainstream line too and catch up. Intel _HAVE_ as capable products. How they sell them and at what price point is likely a business choice.

I feel like whatever AMD does Intel could match it if they want too. However they may not and for some of us AMD having equal value on offer may be enough because we'd prefer to have them around.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
There is no link to update for the X99 OC Formula/3.1 MB? Anyone know why? I have been using this with my 5960x but I wonder if Asrock had stopped supporting.

Each separate model of motherboard presents a unique challenge to the engineers making a bios upgrade. You don't want them to hurry it out the door then have to scramble to get it right afterwards. There's no reason for them to hurry the update.

I have no idea how they prioritize their model list for the upgrade. I would be shocked to learn they were no longer supporting your motherboard.

IspotU

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Hmm.. I wonder is my sabertooth x99 mobo is going to see a update also. At least I know now that I didn't go down a dead end chipset this time like last time I went with the 1366 socket.

Asus is pretty good at supporting new CPUs for quite a while. I remember a LGA775 board that was released for the Pentium D and the last BIOS update allowed it to use The last run of the Core 2 Quads (the 45nm line). I doubt they would let the board go without any sort of update for support.

G

Who has an extreme edition cpu and is concerned about power management? We bought them for power, efficiency be damned.

If it just raises a little power consumption, that's nothing big. Or is he saying this causes actual power management problems that leads to system instability? Can't tell the way it's worded.

Windows is reporting (event viewer) that power state fails on each core of the processor. I could not properly reboot machine and not sure about other instability. Asrock needs to fix the problem.

Martian-oasis

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Martian-oasis

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Yes, definitely don't want them to rush it. There hasn't been a bios update since June of 2015 and only one minor app update so I was wondering if the board was "on the back burner" so to speak. The article just gave the impression all the boards had updates ready.

IspotU

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016

I have kinda given up on AMD in the performance side of things for their CPU's. They still compete on the performance side of the GPU market, but still have trouble keeping the heat and power usage down. I am like you though, I want to see them drop a bomb shell on Intel to catch them off guard like they did with their true dual core back in the day.

I thought intel said they v4 chips would only be supported on server chipsets ?? and there been a few posts here at toms with guys failing to have them chips work on x99 ?/

matter of fact that bios update was listed at asrock on there x99 boards but now today there removed or yet to show any v4 chips supported ?

is this going to be like the asrock no "K'' overclocking thing where its not approved or supported by intel and removed ??

I think if you look you may see intel said v4 chips will only be supported under c610 chipset only [??] just like today that xeon will not be supported under any skylake 100 series boards and just Intel C232 chipsets

''''The E5 - v4 series -- The platform will be compatible with the C610 series chipset.''

http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-ep-xeon-e5-2698-v4-processor/

thing is intel want to have things today as proprietary as they can get it -- I wount get my hopes up until I see proof in the pudding

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3030160/x99-deluxe-xeon-compatibility.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2932438/fried-4000-xeon-2696-cores-threads.html

maybe get lucky and intel changed there minds and will allow on x99 ?? these days who knows

good luck

You are mixing up CPUs. Broadwell-E is not Xeon, that is Broadwell-EP. Broadwell-E is the high end consumer desktop and workstation CPU uArch that is based on the same uArch as Broadwell-EP but made for the LGA 2011 consumer socket and the x99 chipset.

Much like Skylake and the Skylake Xeons. same uArch but one is designed for server use more than consumer use.

And of course it is proprietary. Technically the Z97 chipset was never designed to work with Xeons, it just happens that they did so motherboard manufactures took advantage of it. Intel used to have separate sockets, for example LGA775 was consumer and LGA771 was the server socket.

ya, I see but the thing is how intel now doing things not like old [z97 and below] where you could run it all i5 - i7- xeon on one board

like I pointed out with this skylake as you know intel said no xeon on 100 series then how they stoped that asrock non k overclock thing and so on this is what I was looking at and how things are working out with intel and this stuff

heck look at the skylake windows 7 thing to where you may be just forced to go win-10 or your not supported ??

this is what I was trying to say until I see it listed in the boards cpu list and fuly working hard to put any faith in any of this just yet ..

only nice thing is asrock tryst to please in some way but like that non k overclock thing I thought was nice intel did not think so .. so is it asrock and all maybe putting a cart before the horse on this as well ??

only time will tell on the outcome

has anyone see a official release report form intel on any of this compatibility ?? all I seen is this chipset and not that chipset too bad soo sad ... lol...

anyway just a point to ponder ... enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.