[SOLVED] ASRock B450/m Pro4 vs Steel Legend variations

kenzy9

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
Hi,

B450 Pro4 or Steel Legend,

B450M Pro4 vs B450M Steel Legend.

And why?

Which variants are better? To pair with either Ryzen 2600/3600+ for OC close to X versions

Thanx!

Solution
Got a PM from OP and now i'm here.

As Darkbreeze already said, both MoBos are essentially same, though, Steel Legend has some RGB LEDs for eyecandy and better components as well, e.g:
  • XXL Aluminum Alloy Heatsink
  • Premium 60A Power Choke
  • Nichicon 12K Black Caps (100% Japan made high quality conductive polymer capacitors)
  • 6 Power Phase design
  • Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio Caps
  • PCB Isolate Shielding
  • Individual PCB Layers for R / L Audio Channel
  • Gold Audio Jacks

Where's Pro4 has:
  • Premium 42A Power Choke
  • ELNA Audio Caps

Here, i'd go with Steel Legend,
Pro4 vs Steel Legend comparison: https://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.asp?SelectedModel=B450M+Pro4&SelectedModel=B450M+Steel+Legend

As far...
They are the same basic board. The Steel legend is just the "gaming" variant of the Pro4. Most of the design and features are the same. Looks, branding and bundled software are the main differences. The Steel legend has a "reinforced" PCI slot, for what that's worth.

There are some other minor differences as well AND you have to know WHICH variant you are dealing with, because there are two different variants of both those boards, and each variant has a different VRM composition.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Reactions: majeak

kenzy9

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
AND you have to know WHICH variant you are dealing with, because there are two different variants of both those boards, and each variant has a different VRM composition.
Different Vrm compositions? I don't know anything about that VRM's. This is getting confusing very quickly :( How do I know which "variant" I'm looking at on product page etc... Which has best composition?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Got a PM from OP and now i'm here.

As Darkbreeze already said, both MoBos are essentially same, though, Steel Legend has some RGB LEDs for eyecandy and better components as well, e.g:
  • XXL Aluminum Alloy Heatsink
  • Premium 60A Power Choke
  • Nichicon 12K Black Caps (100% Japan made high quality conductive polymer capacitors)
  • 6 Power Phase design
  • Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio Caps
  • PCB Isolate Shielding
  • Individual PCB Layers for R / L Audio Channel
  • Gold Audio Jacks

Where's Pro4 has:
  • Premium 42A Power Choke
  • ELNA Audio Caps

Here, i'd go with Steel Legend,
Pro4 vs Steel Legend comparison: https://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.asp?SelectedModel=B450M+Pro4&SelectedModel=B450M+Steel+Legend

As far as ATX vs micro-ATX goes, well, that depends on which PC case you have.

Solution
If you're planning to drop a manual overclock on this system, I wouldn't even guess. I'd go with the Steel legend or better yet, the ASUS B450-F Gaming.

Yes, they are moderately more expensive than the Pro4, but the Pro4 is not going to offer you very substantial overclocking and isn't likely to work as well with high speed memory kits if you choose to go with something 3200mhz or higher.

If you have zero plans to overclock, then the Pro4 is an ok board. Not great, but ok.

If you are simply wanting somebody to TELL you what to buy, then my recommendation would be for the B450-F gaming. If that is too expensive, then drop down to the Steel legend. If that is too expensive, then go with the Pro4.

Obviously, or at least it SHOULD be obvious to most people, the less you pay for a motherboard, the lower the quality of the components it is made up of will be and the fewer features it will have. When it comes to motherboards, while there are a few exceptions, you generally DO "get what you pay for" in terms of garbage in, garbage out. Meaning, don't buy a 70 dollar motherboard and expect it to be "the same" as a 125 dollar motherboard.

Don't buy a 125 dollar motherboard and expect it to be the same as a 160 dollar motherboard. And so on.

Reactions: DMAN999 and boju

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I agree with DarkBreeze.
The Asrock B450 Steel Legend looks like a capable board so if it meets your wants, needs and budget then get it.
I have the Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming and I am Very happy with it.
It allows me to run my CPU, RAM and GPU OC'd without any issues.
See my signature for specs.
So I can definitely second DB's recommendation.

As far as mATX vs. ATX, I personally don't like mATX boards simply because they have fewer features and are a bit harder to work on/with due to their smaller size.
And because I like to build a system with a lifespan of at least 5 years in mind I prefer to spend a tad more on a better quality MB than to cheap out and potentially have to replace it in 2 to 3 years.
I have always built with ATX boards in a Mid tower or even full tower case with plenty of case fans to ensure good airflow so I can OC my CPU and GPU without having to worry about them getting too hot and throttling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkbreeze

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, one thing is sending PMs out to forum members asking for help, which isn't wrong in itself but completely another thing is downvoting the reply you asked for since it doesn't favor the choice you've already made. Not cool, not cool at all. :non:

gvdK0ch.png

Not really. Most mATX boards have limited fan headers, fewer DIMM slots, fewer SATA headers, fewer M.2 slots, fewer everything except on the rare few mATX boards or the high end models, in which case you might just as well buy an ATX board because the cost is going to be similar. Smaller form factor cases or cost are the only real reasons to go with an mATX board IMO.

That does seem to be changing somewhat though, for some manufacturers. So it might get better. The Pro4 mATX boards for example, tend to have just as many fan headers, except the -F variant, and four DIMM slots, so there are exceptions.

It's true that most users could get BY with one, but personally I'd never opt for one given my druthers.

According to newegg there are 40%-70% more mATX boards (AM4 and LGA1151-300) with 4 RAM slots than 2. The 2 slot ones are budget models. I always filter out the 2 slot boards in my online searches. That's not a good place to pinch pennies.

Fan headers are similarly tied to price. My mATX Asrock Z77 Pro4M has enough headers to power 4 fans and a rad pump without splitters...fwiw. Modern mATX boards seem to be in the 3-5 range (with 4 being most common in the 6 or so boards I just checked out) and appears more directly related to manufacturer than to price perhaps (I don't spend my hours counting fan headers across all the mobos on newegg)

M.2 slots is a legitimate concern nowadays IF you plan on owning more than one. In that case, I'd caution buyers to research that spec for ATX boards also, since there are a fair number with only one M.2 slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker