[SOLVED] ASRock B450 pro4/Ryzen 5 2600 upgrade restarting over and over, no video signal

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Hello. Been all over the 'net searching and trying many things to get my upgraded pc to work, but it will only try to start for around 10-15 seconds, then it turns off and immediately back on again. Monitor says no signal. Fans and power leds turn on, and hdd was firing up every time it turned on again (until I disconnected hdd for testing) My motherboard beep speaker either isn't working, or there's no beeps.

Below are my specs and what I can remember I've tried (which is basically, everything! been at this for 13+ hours over two days...) My previous build was working fine, including gaming in Fortnite, Overwatch, Apex Legends, Anthem beta. I'm upgrading for Oculus.

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 (NEW)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 w/ Wraith Cooler (NEW)
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 2133 x2 (NEW)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Graphics: GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair CX 650
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I (don't judge! lol)

Double check (aka, yes these things are true):
  • All parts are compatible (via System Builder)
  • Cables are where they belong and plugged in tight
  • RAM is in the correct slots
  • No cables touching anything that aren't plugged in
  • Motherboard is up off the case (case has raised platform bits already at screws, compatible)

Things I have tried:
  • Disconnecting graphics card and using onboard graphics, both HDMI and D-SUB connections (HDMI cable and monitor are the same I was already using)
  • Reseating RAM
  • Cleaning off and reapplying thermal paste (twice)
  • Inspecting cpu pins with a magnifying glass
  • Disconnecting cables and air-dusting out all connections
  • Disconnecting restart cable
  • Disconnecting everything except mobo, start cable, cpu+fan, RAM
  • Disconnecting everything except mobo, start cable, cpu+fan
  • Resetting CMOS
  • I'm sure there's more I can't think of atm...

It's probably a bad mobo or cpu, right? But if my beep speaker aint beeping, I'm not sure how I can narrow it down, and I don't want to cough up more than I paid for the motherboard for someone else to figure it out. I read somewhere the bios might need to be updated for that cpu, but if you can't do that without booting it up and it won't boot, how the heck is that compatible? Not sure what to do at this point, so any suggestions appreciated!

Solution
It powered up to BIOS!

Ok, for anyone who comes after me with this issue, here are three things I did, and I'm not sure which one made it finally work, but my bet would be on #3:

1. I did the "long" version of CMOS (was doing that when I started this thread http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal)
  2. I did what @drivinfast247 recommended and only inserted one stick of RAM (slot A2)
  3. Because I'd read somewhere along this "journey" that some motherboards have trouble with HDMI until all the things are updated, I hooked the gpu up using it's DVI connection (I'd tried earlier w the HDMI when it was loop-restarting)
I wouldn't have persisted with #3 without...
You MUST use the GPU for display as the 2600 has no built in GPU.

Try installing a single stick of RAM into to correct slot and booting.

I would create a bootable Windows USB and see if it'll boot into that and allow you to install Windows.

FYI: that motherboard does not have a speaker installed for error codes. Also, it should support the 2600 right out the box. Enter BIOS and make sure you are on BIOS versions 1.50 or higher. I guess it won't boot for you so check the sticker attached to the BIOS chip on mobo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halo Diehards

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Thank you for your reply.

I hear you on GPU, but that's not going to cause the restarting, right? I'm trying to narrow down what is causing that. It was already happening before I disconnected the card.

The motherboard manual says it will only work with 2 ram sticks installed, do you think I should still try that? (I think I already did try that, but at this point I'm willing to do it again)

Also, unless I'm mistaken, there is a place to plug in the error code speaker, it just didn't come with one, so I plugged in the one I had.

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
It powered up to BIOS!

Ok, for anyone who comes after me with this issue, here are three things I did, and I'm not sure which one made it finally work, but my bet would be on #3:

1. I did the "long" version of CMOS (was doing that when I started this thread http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal)
  2. I did what @drivinfast247 recommended and only inserted one stick of RAM (slot A2)
  3. Because I'd read somewhere along this "journey" that some motherboards have trouble with HDMI until all the things are updated, I hooked the gpu up using it's DVI connection (I'd tried earlier w the HDMI when it was loop-restarting)
I wouldn't have persisted with #3 without drivinfast247 suggesting to hook the gpu back up, so thanks for that!

I'll put back RAM stick #2 and see how it goes...

Solution
May 15, 2019
I have the same problem.
My computer starts, but after 20 or 30 seconds it reboots, and stays in that process forever.
My opinion is that it is something related to memories.
I have 2x 8gb Gigabyte 2666.
My tests:
RAM A Alone - It Works
RAM B alone - restarts after 20 or 30 seconds
RAM A + B - restarts after 20 or 30 seconds
No RAM - restarts after 20 or 30 seconds
But I tested RAM A and B on another motherboard and it worked.
I think RAM B is not giving enough contact in the motherboard slot.
I tried to force RAM a little but to no avail.

Today, I will try to clear the CMOS and update the BIOS.