Jul 30, 2019
Hi, I'm looking for some thoughts on a recent build of mine that just refuses to boot with a Ryzen 2nd gen 2200g.

On arrival and assembly of the system in question failed to send a graphical signal via the HDMI on the motherboard itself. After this I did what seemed obvious at the time and slapped in a gtx1060 6gb (Asus, not that that matters). The card came from an actively used build so the card was definitely working. However I still failed to get any graphical output via HDMI or Display Port.

This seems kinda like a done deal that the CPU was a dud, however the system lit up and everything else seemed to be functioning other than graphical output.

But things got even more odd when I stuck a Ryzen 5 1600 thinking that maybe the board needed some updates. Then the thing actually booted right up with the r5 1600 in it. Despite this I went ahead and got the motherboard all up to date (despite this board being fully capable for working with ryzen 2nd gen out of the box as far as im aware. This all had no effect however and I still saw no changes when I reinstalled the 2nd gen processor. Still no graphical output. I even went so far as to send the 2200g back saying it must have been DOA (I've never seen a DOA CPU...).

But still this system with its second 2nd gen 2200g slapped in it will not output video via an external card nor the built in Vega. I'm stumped.

Look forward to the comments

If it helps the ram in the build is 2x4 gskill ripjaws and the power supply is a corsair 400 watt, cant be Removed to check which one specifically (its not gonna blow up thats all i care about in a power supply)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
That's really "Odd" Try resetting the BIOS of safe defaults, and try down clocking the iGPU and memory. ?I wonder if it's hanging the startup process? Try starting with just 1 stick.

Usually if it's a memory issue it will reboot 3 times before doing a BIOS reset and then restarting in a safe-lower performance setting.

My Asrock Steel Legend B450 + 2400g booted with Zero issues the first time. However it would refuse to boot if I tried using 3000MHz memory. The fastest it would go would was 2866MHz using all 4 slots.

As true with ALL motherboard manufacturers a lot of their micro-code carries over from one board to the next. So I'm surprised you're having issues with the B450. I would try to contact ASRock over this one.
That's really "Odd" Try resetting the BIOS of safe defaults, and try down clocking the iGPU and memory. ?I wonder if it's hanging the startup process? Try starting with just 1 stick.

Usually if it's a memory issue it will reboot 3 times before doing a BIOS reset and then restarting in a safe-lower performance setting.

My Asrock Steel Legend B450 + 2400g booted with Zero issues the first time. However it would refuse to boot if I tried using 3000MHz memory. The fastest it would go would was 2866MHz using all 4 slots.

As true with ALL motherboard manufacturers a lot of their micro-code carries over from one board to the next. So I'm surprised you're having issues with the B450. I would try to contact ASRock over this one.

Solution